New Tsunami user

L&N Castle

Evening. Fellows,today I received my first Tsunami equipped diesel loco. The locomotive is an Athearn MP-15AC Switcher,lettered Seaboard Systems. What I would like to know is,how hard are Tsunami's to program,and operate? Any help or advice,would be most welcome. William.:cool:.

Tsunamis are not hard to program or operate. If you want to program it in the programming track, you'd need a booster, but if your DCC system supports programming on the main (also known as OPS mode) then you can program it that way without a booster.

Operation-wise, you turn the knob and it goes :D (just like all other brands)

William, as Eric has said, there isn't any difference on how to program a Tsunami than any other and a diesel is much easier than all the huffs and puffs of a steamer. However, there are a lot more CV's available for you to tweak, if you so desire. Many of these are for correcting any running issues of the motor/gearing and many are for more specialized sound control. Most all of these are in the Advanced area of the CV's and are not necessary for general and good operation...totally your choice. If you do want more advanced programming, then I highly recommend you download and print the manual. You can get pretty involved. ;) :)

...If you want to program it in the programming track, you'd need a booster...

Depends on the system. A Digitrax DB150(Empire Builder) or NCE Power Cab will program them on the program track without a booster. Digitrax's DCS50(Zephyr) and DCS51(Zephyr Xtra) will program them on the program track, IF you use what Digitrax calls "Blast Mode."

The basic functions of the Tsunamis are easy to follow. things such as changing volume levels, momentum, etc.. the stuff that is more tricky to follow are the lighting outputs, speed tables, changine CV29 values, and figuring out how to set up the load compensation vs sound output. Its all a learning experince and after you get the hang of it it gets easy from there. I have had Tsunamis for 2 years and I just learned a new trick last week from a fellow fourm member here.

Trent

Hey guys. Thanks for the info. Now, I wonder,is it easy to get hooked on locomotives with Tsunamis in them? Can I live with just one?:D. Thanks again to all for your help. William.

Depends on the system. A Digitrax DB150(Empire Builder) or NCE Power Cab will program them on the program track without a booster. Digitrax's DCS50(Zephyr) and DCS51(Zephyr Xtra) will program them on the program track, IF you use what Digitrax calls "Blast Mode."

What is this blast mode? I've been programming mine on OPS mode on the main with the zephyr.

Evening. Fellows,today I received my first Tsunami equipped diesel loco. The locomotive is an Athearn MP-15AC Switcher,lettered Seaboard Systems. What I would like to know is,how hard are Tsunami's to program,and operate? Any help or advice,would be most welcome. William.:cool:.

Bill, it's best to set these up on JMRI. There are so many variables that it's really hard to get everything right from the throttle. CJ should be able to help you.

Hi Alan. Yeah,you are right. I'll try to get with CJ this week-end,and try to get the loco properly programmed. Because if I try it my own,ain't no telling what will happen. How are you doing? William.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, it's best to set these up on JMRI. There are so many variables that it's really hard to get everything right from the throttle. CJ should be able to help you.
That is for certain. No way to keep up with some of the Tsunami CV's while tweaking...not for me anyhow :eek::D.

What is this blast mode? I've been programming mine on OPS mode on the main with the zephyr.

Blast mode works similar to a DB150 in that it does full power service mode programming. It is enabled by setting OpSw 07 to 'c'(it is undocumented, but available, in the original Zephyr and slightly documeted in the Zephyr Xtra). Everything else must be removed from the layout because the programming commands are sent out the main track outputs as well as the program track outputs.

Hi Alan. Yeah,you are right. I'll try to get with CJ this week-end,and try to get the loco properly programmed. Because if I try it my own,ain't no telling what will happen. How are you doing? William.

Hanging in there. The steamers are easier (for me anyway) to do from the handset. Also, no, you'll find one isn't enough. I struggle with what to put sound in, because there are just too many locos on the roster :eek:

Blast mode works similar to a DB150 in that it does full power service mode programming. It is enabled by setting OpSw 07 to 'c'(it is undocumented, but available, in the original Zephyr and slightly documeted in the Zephyr Xtra). Everything else must be removed from the layout because the programming commands are sent out the main track outputs as well as the program track outputs.

*Very* interesting! You're saying that setting that OpSw (something the manual explicitly says not to do btw) does two things;

- Increases the power out to the programming track and
- Also puts any programming commands onto the main rails?

So it should overcome the need for programming boosters when programming "balky" (typically sound) locos? On the prog track?

*Very* cool if so - Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Ian

As he said, you have to take all locos off the layout. From what I've been reading on it, it doesn't seem to be any different than programming in OPS mode with no address.

As he said, you have to take all locos off the layout.

Understood. I just want to check that it increases current onto the programming track at the same time - It "blasts" out onto both outputs - At least that's the way I read the post.

Cheers,
Ian

Just program on OPS mode with no address input into the system. It will program everything on the main, and you get "instant gratification" by seeing the changes take effect immediately.

Just program on OPS mode with no address input into the system.

Understood.

However, the implication above is that this mysterious "blast mode" increases current to the programming track - If true, it should eliminate the need for programming boosters and other "kludges" - Which would be nice......

Cheers,
Ian

If you use OPS mode (program on the main) with the address 03 in the throttle, then it works the same as blast mode :D

Back