New Train room, and a house.

NZRMac

In Training Down Under.
We found out last night that our offer has been accepted on this place
RR050806_custom.jpg

The train room is on the right end of the garage it's 13' X 25' and it's all mine!!

We move the end of November!! Yippee.

Ken.

WOW! A new train room...with a house attached, way to go! :cool:

(But who is going to have to keep all that grass trimmed? :eek: )

Very beautiful! Are those peach trees I see in bloom? I'll bet a couple of goats would be happy to keep the grass under control. ;)

Thanks, yup it will be a mission keeping it all neat n tidy, but I like mowing lawns, I'll get a ride on mower.

Not sure about those trees Claudia, but they do look nice. We're bound to get some animals but not sure about goats!!

Ken.

Ken, that is a beautiful place. You best get a tractor instead of a lawnmower, or as Claudia suggested, a biiiig herd of goats:D. After all, you don't want to put a damper on your railroad time.

I hope you and yours will be very happy there.

Well you better get to work on that plan now, because come November you're going to be packing and come December you'll be unpacking and if you don't have a plan to think about you might just go nuts. (I know I would).

SpaceMouse said:
Well you better get to work on that plan now, because come November you're going to be packing and come December you'll be unpacking and if you don't have a plan to think about you might just go nuts. (I know I would).

Chip you suggested three peninsulas, when I posted my plan on the MR forum, I still can't see how to make them fit and have some long track runs?

I like the centre peninsula idea I had, but realise I need to do some research into Norfolk & Western and pick some of their line I would like to model.

Soooo much to do!!

Ken.

NZRMac said:
Chip you suggested three peninsulas, when I posted my plan on the MR forum, I still can't see how to make them fit and have some long track runs?

I like the centre peninsula idea I had, but realise I need to do some research into Norfolk & Western and pick some of their line I would like to model.

Soooo much to do!!

Ken.

I remember it now. The idea was that it could be done. It was a matter of using what Anderson called blobs and alternating them like a puzzle piece.

What I didn't like about the pennisula that you had is that is was so narrow that you couldn't doo much with it in terms of industry, etc. That's okay if you are more of a railfan that an operator, but you left no options if you change your mind. I wouldn't mind seeing that plan again if you don't mind posting it.

Chip here's a later version. The slightly lighter track colour is a lower deck I thought for mainline/staging. Staging will be the same both sides of the peninsula, the main will drop around the sides of the room for a nolix. the lower deck is about 12" down.

Just some thought going round in my head, had to put them on paper!!

aej.jpg

Ken.

Each square is 12"

The center pennisula is wider than I remember it.

What I see from the layout is that you want to run trains around the track, probably through scenery. You have no provisions for switching, or sidings for industry, so I assume you want none.

Can you elaborate on what you envison doing with the layout? What is the purpose of the layout? By this I mean, what are the trains doing?

Is this a model railroad, or are trains just running so you can watch them? This is not a value judgement, rather just a call for you to define what we are looking at.

SpaceMouse said:
The center pennisula is wider than I remember it.

What I see from the layout is that you want to run trains around the track, probably through scenery. You have no provisions for switching, or sidings for industry, so I assume you want none.

Can you elaborate on what you envison doing with the layout? What is the purpose of the layout? By this I mean, what are the trains doing?

Is this a model railroad, or are trains just running so you can watch them? This is not a value judgement, rather just a call for you to define what we are looking at.

So far it's just mainline I want some industries. A coal mine, or the appearance of coal coming and going. Grain sounds interesting with covered hoppers, that kind of thing.

Also passenger stops and small towns ( don't know why i just had to have an Amtrac Acela passenger train!! )

visable yards is a must, don't want to watch trains running ( sometimes mayby so want continuous running ). Making them up and breaking them down in the yard is a must.

Ken :)

The era is a good question, roster so far Class J 4-8-4, 2-8-8-2, two SD40-2's two sw8 switchers. 100 ton hoppers (20 of those ) all Norfolk & Western, Pioneer Zephyr, Acela. So it's modern with some old steam train excursions?

Unsure of the location need something that is mega busy, lots of switching, loco service. Coal using industry would be cool.

I stumbled into Norfolk & Western ( LHS had some cheap ore cars )

I'm hopeless at research, can't concentrate long enough!! LOL.

Ken.

NZRMac said:
The era is a good question, roster so far Class J 4-8-4, 2-8-8-2, two SD40-2's two sw8 switchers. 100 ton hoppers (20 of those ) all Norfolk & Western, Pioneer Zephyr, Acela. So it's modern with some old steam train excursions?

Unsure of the location need something that is mega busy, lots of switching, loco service. Coal using industry would be cool.

I stumbled into Norfolk & Western ( LHS had some cheap ore cars )

I'm hopeless at research, can't concentrate long enough!! LOL.

Ken.

Research is the step you seem to be at. N&W gives you some leeway. I don't know what facilities you have availible. Here in the states I would say find a book--probably through reccomendation--and order through interlibrary loan.

However, I think you can do fine by just asking questions of those that know, either here or on MR. It will really help to get a solid idea of what things looked like and what went on. It will help with a lot of the decisions you are going to make as you refine your layout. Having a clear focus will keep your layout consistant and allow you to make the addtions you need. Having a clear vision just makes everything flow better.

Ken, have you thought about a steel making operation? The reason I decided to put one on my layout, is because of all the traffic and switching operations that take place.
Continuous coal runs to the coke plant from the mines.
Continuous coke runs to the Blast furnace from the coke plant.
Continuous ore runs to the Blast furnace.
Transfer of pig iron to electric/oxygen furnaces
Electric furnace product to rolling mill or other.
Rolling mills to customer.
...on and on and on. You can put some of the industry together or spread them all over your layout.

You don't have to like steel mills, but the traffic it generates will keep you or a buddy busy.

Thanks all, Rex Your steel works is outa my league, man I don't know if I've got the modelling skills for that!!

Grandeman, I like that layout but I'm thinking round the walls, twice around on different levels, nolix style.

Chip I do have a book Norfolk & Western Railway by Nelson Harris, Kevin Newsom gave it to me when they were over.

I love the way photos were taken back then, workers standing and sitting on every part of an old loco for the photo.

Roanoke Virginia would be a good start for me, great passenger station, huge classification yards and car repair, loco service (roundhouse)

Coal port at Norfolk are (were) enormous and would be a huge task to model, but would be a great attraction.

Well I'll keep reading and looking at pics and dreaming!! Between strokes of the paint brush at home here, not long to go.

Ken.

Back