New track plans, what are your ideas??

UPRRfan

I had to find a new track plan because the one I was going to do was way to big for the space I had, so I found some ones on the model railroader website. I can't decide which one to do though, which one do you think I should do??

Track plan #1
Name: Milwaukee Road's Beer Line
Scale: HO (1:87.1)
Size: 4 x 12 feet
Prototype: Milwaukee Road's Chestnut Street Line
Locale: Milwaukee, Wis.
Era: 1947
Style: sectional
Mainline run: 24 feet
Minimum radius: 18"
Minimum turnout: no. 4
Maximum grade: none
Here is the link to the plan:http://mrr.trains.com/~/media/import/files/pdf/6/3/d/mrr-a0109_aplan.ashx
Track Plan #2
Name: Rosston, Joelberg & Holly RR (CSX branch line) Division of the Delaware & Hudson
Layout designer: Rick Van Laar
Scale: HO (1:87.1)
Size: 4 x 8 feet
Prototype: freelanced CSX
Locale: West Virginia coal country
Era: 1990
Style: island, portable
Mainline run: 32 feet
Minimum radius: 17"
Minimum turnouts: no. 6 (main line), no. 4 (yard and branch)
Maximum grade: 3 percent (main line), 3.5 percent (branch line)
Here is the link to the track plan:http: http://mrr.trains.com/~/media/Files/PDF/trackplans/2011/02/Rosston%20Joelberg%20%20Holly%20RR%20CSX%20branch%20line.ashx

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm leaning towards #2 just for scenery and running, but would try to make it a little bigger just to get larger curves in.
The branch line is great also and could be customized to the industry of your choice. (I'd go with papermill just for the variety of freightcars)
I'm not a subscriber so can't really see the plan that well tho.
Oh, hold on... found a larger version of the trackplan: Rosston, http://mrr.trains.com/~/media/Files...sston Joelberg Holly RR CSX branch line.ashx

I'm leaning towards #2 just for scenery and running, but would try to make it a little bigger just to get larger curves in.
The branch line is great also and could be customized to the industry of your choice. (I'd go with papermill just for the variety of freightcars)
I'm not a subscriber so can't really see the plan that well tho.

Ill draw them out so it can be easier to see. I have a question though, how much would I have to expand the #2 layout so I could have 24" curves??

The original 4x8 plan has minimum 17-inch curves. If you want minimum 24-inch curves, and you want to keep all of the proportions exactly the same, the layout will be 5'8" x 11'4".

If you are not so worried about keeping the proportions the same, it can probably fit in 5'8" x about 10'.

- Jeff

The original 4x8 plan has minimum 17-inch curves. If you want minimum 24-inch curves, and you want to keep all of the proportions exactly the same, the layout will be 5'8" x 11'4".

If you are not so worried about keeping the proportions the same, it can probably fit in 5'8" x about 10'.

- Jeff

Thanks for the help! Ill probaly just round it up to 6' x 10"

- Jeff

Thanks for the help! Ill probaly just round it up to 6' x 10'

Just remember that the wider you make it, the more difficult it will be to reach the middle of the layout for everything from construction to operations. Three feet is a very long reach.

- Jeff

Just remember that the wider you make it, the more difficult it will be to reach the middle of the layout for everything from construction to operations. Three feet is a very long reach.

- Jeff

ya i just thought of that, im thinking of splitting it up so there is a aisle in the middle and do a walk around type

Wait a minute, wait a minute. You just now figured out the size of your available space has changed, after I spent all the time working on a plan for you.

good lord...

Wait a minute, wait a minute. You just now figured out the size of your available space has changed, after I spent all the time working on a plan for you.

good lord...

I'm sorry :( my dad said that it would fit but it would just take up to much space... Sorry once again!

Back