Seanzee

Hello, new here and to model trains/railroads specifically, although I am very familiar with what makes them work. 🤖 I've been researching a little bit and learning the history which is pretty cool in itself. hopefully my pics will load so you can have a small glimpse of what I have. Can you paste some links to pages that can help me learn about the brands, models, types ect.? I have multiple sizes of track and I think both O and HO size locomotives. (possibly smaller too?)

Thank you kindly!

Sean

Attachments

• IMG_20220401_122825.jpg
    IMG_20220401_122825.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20220401_123007.jpg
    IMG_20220401_123007.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20220401_123132.jpg
    IMG_20220401_123132.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20220401_123154.jpg
    IMG_20220401_123154.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20220401_123159.jpg
    IMG_20220401_123159.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20220401_123516.jpg
    IMG_20220401_123516.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20220401_123537.jpg
    IMG_20220401_123537.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20220401_123701.jpg
    IMG_20220401_123701.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20220401_123707.jpg
    IMG_20220401_123707.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20220401_123713.jpg
    IMG_20220401_123713.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 120
Hello Sean, welcome to the forum!
Are you looking to build a layout? I thought I saw an N scale engine in there.....
You have three different scales!?
Which one do you want to model?

Here is my 242....I picked it, (box) a couple of years ago from a buddy's big barn. Researching it, I recall this was produced '64-'66, I believe. There are knowledgeable O people on here. Anyway, the kids that had this set, flat wore it out & then some!.....o_O
IMG_20220403_025028821.jpg

Flipping 'eck, your likely to make a few members jealous with this collection of yours, especially the Lionel's.
But welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy yourself here and pop into the coffee shop for a chat.

Are you looking to build a layout? I thought I saw an N scale engine in there.....

Here is my 242....I picked it, (box) a couple of years ago from a buddy's big barn. Researching it, I recall this was produced '64-'66, I believe. There are knowledgeable O people on here. Anyway, the kids that had this set, flat wore it out & then some!.....o_O
View attachment 144016
Thats such a cool find! Mentioning the wear and tear, I want to find parts for the smaller, I think called H.O. ?The connectors on the ends of some engines are broken. I want to repair them in the future. There may be a few that I may need to turn into parts. I have no idea what runs except the one on the track, which is pretty cool being the 242!
Later in life I want a track running around the living room, but until them, Ill most likely build an oval. I did get some decor and figures too. Im guessing ill be building an H.O setup.

Flipping 'eck, your likely to make a few members jealous with this collection of yours, especially the Lionel's.
But welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy yourself here and pop into the coffee shop for a chat.
Thank you very much! Im still in shock that the person I inherited this collection ran railroad in his "man cave" shed😲

View attachment 144016
I've never heard of the term "N scale" before. Im guessing its the big guy? I have two sets of them, though some cars may be replaced by another brand? I have much to learn.

Aha! Thats what the tiny track is for! thank you!
You might want to use Google and search for
Model Train Track Sizes,
Then you can work out what you have and what train goes with which track etc.
But if you want to build your own layout doesn't matter what scale you chose, go for it, it's great fun, frustrating at times too, but a brilliant hobby to have.
Any questions or something your not sure about, just ask, we've got lots of experienced modellers and newbies like me on the forum.

Last edited:
You might want to use Google and search for
Model Train Track Sizes,
Then you can work out what you have and what train goes with which track etc.
But if you want to build your own layout doesn't matter what scale you chose, go for it, it's great fun, frustrating at times too, but a brilliant hobby to have.
Any questions or something your not sure about, just ask, we've got lots of experienced modellers and newbies like me on the forum.
Thanks, Ill do some research on scale, great idea for a start. Ill be going through it all today, there is definitely much to learn 😲. I play around with R/C cars so I can relate with the "frustrating" parts of a hobby.. Oh and an auto tech. 🤬

Ill be posting more later, I saw a second 242 locomotive in the original box set yesterday in the pile of boxes, many reboxed so unknown at the moment. EXCITING!!!

Thanks, Ill do some research on scale, great idea for a start. Ill be going through it all today, there is definitely much to learn 😲. I play around with R/C cars so I can relate with the "frustrating" parts of a hobby.. Oh and an auto tech. 🤬

Ill be posting more later, I saw a second 242 locomotive in the original box set yesterday in the pile of boxes, many reboxed so unknown at the moment. EXCITING!!!
Enjoy rummaging around, keep a look out for any loose Service Sheets you may find, you'll need those if you need to do any repairs to them, but if your into RC you'll know that, sorry.
The couplings (connectors) are easy to replace, but depending on age some you might have to swap out for a more modern version as they might well be a discontinued item, and hard to find.

Enjoy yourself and above all, Have Fun.

Last edited:
Enjoy rummaging around, keep a look out for any loose Service Sheets you may find, you'll need those if you need to do any repairs to them, but if your into RC you'll know that, sorry.
The couplings (connectors) are easy to replace, but depending on age some you might have to swap out for a more modern version as they might well be a discontinued item, and hard to find.

Enjoy yourself and above all, Have Fun.
thats good news, thank you. Ya, unfortunetly I dont have anything on paper. There is a train/ rc car shop in the next city over, Ill need to take time to stop in and see what they know/have.

thats good news, thank you. Ya, unfortunetly I dont have anything on paper. There is a train/ rc car shop in the next city over, Ill need to take time to stop in and see what they know/have.
Let us know how you get on, ideally try and go through what you have, what works or not, you'll have a better idea of what questions you need to ask.

Looks like you definitely have a lot of O-scale (1:48 size of the prototypes), with 3-rail track. This runs on AC, a power pack for which is shown on your lower right image. Can't tell about other scales from the photos. HO scale is 1:87.1. N scale is about 1:144 or thereabouts, around half of HO. S-scale is 1:64, about midway between O and HO. What scale you finally decide on will depend on how much room you have, and whether you want to primarily utilize what you have, or perhaps trade it off for equipment of a different scale. There are a myriad of books and magazines on the subject of model railroading. Anyway, welcome to the hobby and the forum!

Back