New to Scenery - How to lay the grass??

I am really new to this, this will be my first build really. As far as the grass goes (like shown on the images in this thread http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=45543&posted=1#post45543 ) what all is needed?

A local hobby shop here has the Woodland Scenics (Shown on the image below) products. They have the "Jug" type container with them. But I have a question, what all else is required? I Really have no clue on where to start with laying this down, after I get my buildings planted and the terrain the way I want it.

Any special equipment? Special type of glue, brand, type, etc? Just what all do I need to lay this down to make it look as nice as yours?

Thanks Alot! (image below of what they have, its the container, but I think they have the bagged as well too)

FineTurf.jpg

I want/like to have the same grass as shown in these pics below (the normal, short colored that there is more of than not) Which grass is this called? The hobby store has several different ones. Thanks!

grass1.jpg

grass2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In the second picture, I used Blended Turf.
First I covered the foam and newspaper wads with plaster cloth and after it dried I colored it with diluted WS Earth Undercoat. After that dried, I brushed on WS Scenic Cement and sprinked on the Blended Turf. Then I added other colors of turf until it looked the way I wanted... spraying with 50/50 mix of Scenic Cement and rubbing alcohol. Throw in the wild flowers and some more mixed cement and that's about it. It's really fun once you get going. Enjoy, Dave

P.S. The bag or the shaker is really a matter of personal preference. The shaker is a little easier to work with. I have learned that old spice shakers work really well... the small ones that is.

In the second picture, I used Blended Turf.
First I covered the foam and newspaper wads with plaster cloth and after it dried I colored it with diluted WS Earth Undercoat. After that dried, I brushed on WS Scenic Cement and sprinked on the Blended Turf. Then I added other colors of turf until it looked the way I wanted... spraying with 50/50 mix of Scenic Cement and rubbing alcohol. Throw in the wild flowers and some more mixed cement and that's about it. It's really fun once you get going. Enjoy, Dave

P.S. The bag or the shaker is really a matter of personal preference. The shaker is a little easier to work with. I have learned that old spice shakers work really well... the small ones that is.

Can you use the Scenic Cement more than once? Say I put down some of the green grass that I wanted...after that dries, can you add more scenic cement on top of that green grass to do a different color??

Can you use the Scenic Cement more than once? Say I put down some of the green grass that I wanted...after that dries, can you add more scenic cement on top of that green grass to do a different color??

Sure. The Scenic Cement dries clear... You can use as much as you need. A good wetting is what you want, but you don't have to over do it. The rubbing acohol will help it to flow into the material without clumping. Good luck, Dave

P.S. The 50/50 mix may be too much in some cases. Start with a little less alcohol and add some if it is not flowing well.

Hello Necrosarro420<

We always use "fine turf" from Woodland senicsat/on our Nscale modules. What you see on the picture I made last year is a mixture from blended turf and green grass( + some dust! because it is an very old module: 6-7 years old...)Before you start using the turf, make some experiments with it.
I start always with "burnt grass or dry grass. it's akind of ocre colored fine turf. than I add the second color: again moistering the surface/ area that "needs to be done" and add the turf with a teasieve! You can control it much better.
Have a very good look outside when using different colors ! Here in my country( Holland) we don't have to use the "burnt grass "very often and here in nature/outside the burntgrass is very low in August. the "new"grass is still green and much higher than the old grass...So that's why I start with it first.
Using a bag or a shaker...that depends on you. I would say if the shaker contains more turf for the same price as a bag.....
I always "shake" a small amount in the teasieve... so that( shaker/bag) isn't a point to me...

Jos

Last edited by a moderator:
Okie all, I got the shaker. I used what was recommended by the guy that worked there, the Woodland Scenic Scenic Cement. He said to spray down where I am going to lay the grass, and then use the shaker and put the grass down. Let that dry, and then when im done add another layer of the WS Scenic Cement. Is this correct on what to do? I did the 2nd coat about an hour ago, and its still fairly wet and white colored. Thanks!

Keep in mind, there's a right way, wrong way and grande man's way but I like to paint the scenery base foam or wood (not plaster, of course) with a cheap latex house paint and sprinkle Woodland Scenics ground cover products on while the paint is still wet. Finish cover will need to be bonded. I spray the area with "wet water" and apply diluted white glue as the cement.

Cheap, easy and fast, what's not to like? :D

This scene was recently done using the described method.
F9_edited_Large_.JPG

and its still fairly wet and white colored.
:eek:
Don't wurry Necrosaro420 about that, it will "disappear" in about 12-24 hours. Depends on how much you used from the "liqued stuff"( senic cement)
You must have, or learn, patience in the mrr "world";)

Jos

I know I am breaking in late here, but grass in the wild is rarely one color or texture. I like to get a mix of several colors--both static grass and ground foam--and work them together in patches. Think of it as several species competing for space.

Unless of course, you are doing my neighbor's front lawn, who is mowing every day when I come home from work.

Back