New to N gauge but not to MRR

boston&maine

Thanks for creating this site, we have been reading for a while but just joined. My son and I are interested in building a small layout 4x8 in N of a freight only. We live in the NE and have seen a few train operations but not many. The only train we see reguarly have been trains up in central maine at the paper mill in Auburn etc.
But thats the kind of layout we are looking at. Not looking to dump 1000s of dollars but just get a nice layout started out.
We had a HO layout for a couple of years, just a loop with 2 manual switches.
thanks
Dave

Welcome to the forum.
I model Southern Railway in the early 1970's. If you ever have any questions railroad related fire away and we should be able to help. What railroad are you planning to model??

-dekruif

Hi Dave! Welcome to the forums! You've certainly come to the right place for info. Please feel free to ask questions, as there are some great N scale modelers here from time to time, and I'm sure everyone else will be glad to help whenever possible as well. I'm looking forward to seeing your layout as you progress. :)

I believe it is Central Maine RR but I have seen Guilford I "think" on some engines. The area is mainly paper mills in around central Maine. Looking to model 1970 era, I love the old GEEPS.
Can anyone point me towards a reliable online source that has a online catalog. I do a search and 1500 possibles pop up.

Ok I have narrowed it down. It is the rt 4 stretch of a line from Auburn Maine to Jay Maine. Looks like single track with a lot of sidings to various businesses.

For a base, how about useing a hollow core door, i know a few people who have done it with great success, it saves building work and is handy to store away

Back