New to model trains

Elbertohokie

the wife used to have one under her tree as a kid and she wanted to do it again now that we have a young one.

Just purchased a Lionel O-gauge hogwarts express to go under the Xmas tree. It’s supposed to work out of the box but this whole thing is something I’d like to dive into more. Is there a good “the basics” write up that explains all the aspects that I need to learn and understand what I need to know if I want to expand on my very basic setup? Thanks for any info and glad to be here.

go under the Xmas tree. It’s supposed to work out of the box but this whole thing is something I’d like to dive into more.
That's what happened to me last year! Now I have a couple of grand worth of model railroading stuff and a $600.00 ticket for trespassing on railroad property! Be warned!

That's what happened to me last year! Now I have a couple of grand worth of model railroading stuff and a $600.00 ticket for trespassing on railroad property! Be warned!

since My plant is on the Norfolk southern mainline I don’t need to do that as much(the trespassing part). But I see your point.

Welcome to the Forum and Model Railroading!
You have a good start, by asking questions. Lots' of options out there, no matter what scale. Do your research, take your time!

the wife used to have one under her tree as a kid and she wanted to do it again now that we have a young one.

Just purchased a Lionel O-gauge hogwarts express to go under the Xmas tree. It’s supposed to work out of the box but this whole thing is something I’d like to dive into more. Is there a good “the basics” write up that explains all the aspects that I need to learn and understand what I need to know if I want to expand on my very basic setup? Thanks for any info and glad to be here.
There are numerous books and articles published by Kalmbach Publishing and the other outfit that publishes Railroad Model Craftsman. Depending on how much room you have for a layout and other factors, you will want to decide if you want to continue in O-scale or go to a smaller scale like HO or N. One word of "warning", however. Model railroading is VERY ADDICTIVE! I started when I was about 8 years old with an American Flyer S-scale set and switched to HO when I was about 12. There were a few gap years when I went to college, the Air Force, etc., but I am still into it...at age 78+! If you really get into it, you won't be able to afford drugs, liquor or even cigarettes! ;) And, you may wind up getting your kid hooked as well (or not)! Seriously, welcome to the hobby. Do not hesitate to ask any and all questions on this forum.
Stay well and safe! Happy Holidays!

Back