new to hobby

chief093

i am new to the hobby. i am looking to pick up a good starter set and i am looking for some opinions/recomendations. i am currently looking at a set by kato the unitrack csx set. the other two sets i am looking at are walthers trainline and athearn iron horse. i am not very familiar with these companies the only set i ever had was a tyco burliington northern from when i was a kid in the 70s. i am wonder what anyone can tell me about these sets also mth locomotives compared to kato locomotives thank you

All three manufacturers are good quality. The Kato set is probably going to have the nicest quality models, not that Athearn and Walther's aren't good stuff. Walther's Trainline is entry level, great for beginners. The only negative thing about this approach is that Kato unitrack may not readily connect with other manufacturers versions of unitrack. They are all a little different.

i am new to the hobby. i am looking to pick up a good starter set and i am looking for some opinions/recomendations. i am currently looking at a set by kato the unitrack csx set. the other two sets i am looking at are walthers trainline and athearn iron horse. i am not very familiar with these companies the only set i ever had was a tyco burliington northern from when i was a kid in the 70s. i am wonder what anyone can tell me about these sets also mth locomotives compared to kato locomotives thank you
I agree. In my opinion, Kato is top of the line. Walther's Trainlilne is good for beginner. The Athearn brand has been the go-to, main stay, of HO scale hobbyists for about 50 years now. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. Also agree about the track. Absolutely nothing wrong with Kato track, but it is just unique and doesn't match up well to other brands.

Avoid Bachmann sets unless they specifically say "Spectrum" on them. Avoid the Life Like and Model Power brands as those are toy train things similar to the Tyco of bygone days.

I would definitely put Kato over MTH. I believe almost anything MTH makes can be found in a different brand unless you are looking at the really strange things like the 4-12-2, and the Erie Triplex.

I would definitely put Kato over MTH. I believe almost anything MTH makes can be found in a different brand unless you are looking at the really strange things like the 4-12-2, and the Erie Triplex.
BLI makes the 4-12-2 J9000 too.

At the 2:17 mark, you can see the MTH version of this loco. The two that are double heading are both BLI 4-12-2s.

[video=youtube;MzG46ouY1nE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzG46ouY1nE[/video]

If you haven't had any experience with model trains since the 1970's, then you're going to be in for a culture shock as to what is available today. This is even more so in the field of locomotive control systems. Before you part with your hard earned, would you like to tell us what you would like to accomplish with your renewed interest.

P.S. after viewing Ken's layout, I wouldn't be surprised if you've attached a roller skate to your lower jaw, just so you can move around the house.

I agree. In my opinion, Kato is top of the line. Walther's Trainlilne is good for beginner. The Athearn brand has been the go-to, main stay, of HO scale hobbyists for about 50 years now. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. Also agree about the track. Absolutely nothing wrong with Kato track, but it is just unique and doesn't match up well to other brands.

Avoid Bachmann sets unless they specifically say "Spectrum" on them. Avoid the Life Like and Model Power brands as those are toy train things similar to the Tyco of bygone days.

The mth i was considering is a gp38-2 indiana railroad loco the only other one i have found is a kato but it is a sd90/43 mac indiana rail road

The mth i was considering is a gp38-2 indiana railroad loco the only other one i have found is a kato but it is a sd90/43 mac indiana rail road

What do you want to see them do? Pull strings of cars "roundy-round", switching, or a little of both? Where do you want to see them do it? Mountains, desert, city, industries? A mix?
What was your "vision" when you saw yourself with a "train set"?

For all-around use, probably the MTH would be a better choice. I would suggest getting the DCC ready version, rather than the sound-equipped one. MTH stuff tends to be a little "different", and would easily frustrate someone just getting into it, as far as electronics. The GP38 will be able to handle the tighter curves of a beginning layout better than the SD90 monster.

I would second Terry's recommendation on the MTH and as he said, in the non sound DC/DCC ready version if you are going to use a DC control system. They have a 12V motor, whereas MTH's Proto Sound3 uses a 16V and unless your power pack/controller can put out more punch, will only run slowly.

Back