New to HO

VDVTrainboy

I recently acquired a trunk full of HO track (TRIANG Series 4) a very old DC working train set (TRIANG) which I would like to lay out on a 8' x 4' table.
I have several questions as I get started on my new found hobby:

1. Is DCC just the operating system to control everything, and analog the older solid state wired system?
2. Can one change the couplers on the locomotives and carriages, if so is there any one type of coupler that I could standardize on. Asking because I have seen several carriages/locomotives that I'd be keen to purchase but the couplers do not match my old train set.
3. Can one run modern day drivers on the old TRIANG tracks?

I am not familiar with the TRIANG Series 4 equipment, so I can't tell you about how modern flanges/drivers will work. Is the cross section of the rails similar to the prototype...i.e., T-shaped? If the drivers and wheels on the trains are the larger "pizza-cutter" type used by AHM/Rivarrosi, then I would recommend using new Code 100 track, sectional and/or flex. When you talk about "carriages", do I take it you are in England or elsewhere? The only problem that would pose might be the availability and cost of track, parts, etc.

While DCC is very popular, there is nothing wrong with the older analog (DC) system. You can NOT run DC motors using DCC power packs, although the reverse is okay. New DCC locomotives MAY have dual capable decoders. Check the specifications on new equipment. I have both systems on my layout, but use a Double Pole/Double Throw (DPDT) master toggle switch on my control panel to select which one, as I have far more DC locomotives than DCC.

I would recommend Kaydee couplers, as they are the most reliable, and come in a number of different configurations that can be used with a variety of cars and locomotives.
Welcome to the Forum. Please feel free to ask any questions.

DCC is a Digital Command Control system .Digital data is sent over the rails/power wiring and each locomotive has a decoder with a specific assigned address .

In the US we tend to standardize around the Kadee knuckle couplers, but in Europe I believe they use a newer version of the old Hornby, although Kadee does make a Euro style knuckle coupler.

The simplest way to achieve compatibility with newer couplers is to build a transition car .

I am not familiar with the TRIANG Series 4 equipment, so I can't tell you about how modern flanges/drivers will work. Is the cross section of the rails similar to the prototype...i.e., T-shaped? If the drivers and wheels on the trains are the larger "pizza-cutter" type used by AHM/Rivarrosi, then I would recommend using new Code 100 track, sectional and/or flex. When you talk about "carriages", do I take it you are in England or elsewhere? The only problem that would pose might be the availability and cost of track, parts, etc.

While DCC is very popular, there is nothing wrong with the older analog (DC) system. You can NOT run DC motors using DCC power packs, although the reverse is okay. New DCC locomotives MAY have dual capable decoders. Check the specifications on new equipment. I have both systems on my layout, but use a Double Pole/Double Throw (DPDT) master toggle switch on my control panel to select which one, as I have far more DC locomotives than DCC.

I would recommend Kaydee couplers, as they are the most reliable, and come in a number of different configurations that can be used with a variety of cars and locomotives.
Welcome to the Forum. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Back