New to forum Intro

Thought I would introduce myself. I model 1925 logging w/small mining operation in the Calif. Sierra Nevada in HO with a small HOn3. At this point the train room is being updated and prepared for benchwork. I try to do craftman style structures, kitbash or scratch build, all rolling stock at this point have been kitbashed and waiting for the crew(me) to handlay the track. The RR name NoSpaceOreCashRR started with my Dad around 1955( I was only 1 at the time) with his layout and has just stuck. Hoping that Santa will give a camera so I can post some photo's. I know I'll learn many new things from all of you. Thanks in advance.

Hi Bob and welcome to MRF! I've seen you're userID across the street, are you part of the "October 1 Club" (the flood of new MRF members who came here after the infamous Kalmbach MR forum lockdown)? That's how I got here...

Since you're modeling 1925-era California logging, I guess you've been dialoguing regularly with Spacemouse.

Ken,
Yes I pretty much came at the same time, I get a little upset with so much off topic things. I watch what Spacemouse posts but we haven't dialoged directly, but that would be great. I've also seen you over there and followed your posts. As you might know I don't post alot but do read most everything. I've enjoy being here but am still learning my way around, takes time.

Ho Ho Ho Everyone

age.sized.jpg

Has everyone been good this year?

As promised a pic with I, the misses and Elf 2.

Not much on the go, power was out for several hours last night which isn't too unusual ever since the power company privatized and halfed it's work force a few years ago. They have been blaming it on wood peckers and carpenter ants and even ran a story last year in the paper stating why we had a major outage last year. Thing is the poles that collapsed were steel. Go figure.

Bob: Good to see you here and I haven't forgotten your e-mail as I had to put it aside yesterday as the 2do list took precedent. The downside of working on a ship. when you get off you're playing catch-up.

Well I got some more catching up to do

Later all

Fergie

Welcome to the forums, Bob! I hope Santa brings you that camera so we can see your progress on the NORR.

Fergmiester said:
Ho Ho Ho Everyone

age.sized.jpg

Has everyone been good this year?

As promised a pic with I, the misses and Elf 2.

Not much on the go, power was out for several hours last night which isn't too unusual ever since the power company privatized and halfed it's work force a few years ago. They have been blaming it on wood peckers and carpenter ants and even ran a story last year in the paper stating why we had a major outage last year. Thing is the poles that collapsed were steel. Go figure.

Bob: Good to see you here and I haven't forgotten your e-mail as I had to put it aside yesterday as the 2do list took precedent. The downside of working on a ship. when you get off you're playing catch-up.

Well I got some more catching up to do

Later all

Fergie

Sorry I got misplaced, thought I was in the Coffee Shop:eek:

Hi Bob and welcome. Reading is probably the best way to learn the layout of the forum. Get used to using the drop down menus and you'll have the hang of it in no time.
Cheers Willis

Hi Bob,

I'm in the real close to getting started on a 1917 Redwood logging operation on the other side of the state in the Costal Range. I'm going to start (phase 1) with a switching layout of the End of the California Western at the Union Lumber Company Saw Mill. From there I will wind about 40 feet through laundry machines and work benches to the logging camp and log loading area (phase 2) Phase 3 will be the interchange with the Northwestern Pacific at Willits and the NWP north to Ft Seward.

Only the benchwork for phase 1 will happen before I finish my 1885 Rock Ridge and Train City 4 x 8 layout.

Hi Chip,

Iv'e been following your posts on this and other forums and am looking forward to watching your progress on logging. Have you decided how you are going to model Giant Redwoods? There was a contest on another forum regarding realistic looking trees, did you happen to see it? Well back to making Christmas houses for the folks at work.

Hi Bob, glad to see you here. I am another one that migrated from 'across the street'. I've really enjoyed it here and believe you will also. Sometimes there are a few show-offs like Fergie in his work suit.:D :D

NoSpaceOreCashRR said:
Hi Chip,

Iv'e been following your posts on this and other forums and am looking forward to watching your progress on logging. Have you decided how you are going to model Giant Redwoods? There was a contest on another forum regarding realistic looking trees, did you happen to see it? Well back to making Christmas houses for the folks at work.

Well, I'm not going do them full size (3"diameter and 36" tall.) I'm gong to keep them to 1 1/2 to 2" and 24" tall.. I like Paul Templar's use of balsa and a rasp, but I haven't checked into balsa dowles that size. I'm thinking maybe Douglas Fir.

The other option I've ben considering is re-enforced modeling clay, but then I'd have to allow for the weight. Not so much of a problem with the benchwork, but the scenery might have issues. There may not be many if at all on Phase 1.

Chip,
I used bass wood that was 14"x8" on sale at Hobby Lobby, then split it into trunk diameter and used a wood rasp to finish forming. Then stained and A/I, drilled small holes and used stripped Caspia for branches. Sprayed with cheap hair spray and sparingly applied medium WS foilage. A few dead branches lower on the trunk and they are done. I'll try to borrow a camera from work and post photos next weekend.

Back