New Sound-Value S2 is Buzzing and noisy

Genetk44

I just received my B&O Sound Value S2 today and am a bit disappointed. So far I've had very good luck with my Bachmann locos including my 9 Sound Value ones,both steam and diesel. I'd say the worst problem I've had so far is over lubrication(grease) by the factory.

Anyways my Sound Value S2 arrived direct from Bachmann today and I have to say I am disappointed. The sound files are pretty lame compared to my steamers and RS3s. And of course the trucks are overloaded with grease as usual. But the biggest disappointments are the noisy gear/motor noise and the buzzing. The loco runs pretty well and is quiet in reverse but in forward the motor/gear noise actually overpowers the sound files. That and the background buzzing. Even when the sound is muted and the loco is at a standstill the motor buzz is very loud and noticeable. So far I have cleaned the excess grease out of the trucks and gears and I am breaking the loco in at half-speed on my rolling road with the sound off...hopefully that will help but I doubt it.

Sending it back to the factory is not an option...between shipping costs and the hit from Canada Customs shipping it back to the US isn't happening....so I have to sort it...hopefully with help from you guys here.

Cheers
Gene

Check the manual for the decoder. It may have a silent running option that needs to be turned on. I know I had that option with the Atlas Loco I just got.

I have never encountered the problem you describe with one of my HO trains, but I have seen the problem with 2 of older (1970s) Lionel locomotives. One had a bad connection and the other the motor was loose.

Next time try MB Klein www.modeltrainstuff.com I know they shipped a new replacement locomotive to another forum member who lives in Australia for free and did not ask for a return.

I wish well.

Check the manual for the decoder. It may have a silent running option that needs to be turned on. I know I had that option with the Atlas Loco I just got.

It does not appear to have the silent running option that I can find. The Bachman Sound-Value decoders are quite basic in functionality.

I have never encountered the problem you describe with one of my HO trains, but I have seen the problem with 2 of older (1970s) Lionel locomotives. One had a bad connection and the other the motor was loose.

Next time try MB Klein www.modeltrainstuff.com I know they shipped a new replacement locomotive to another forum member who lives in Australia for free and did not ask for a return.

I wish well.

I have used them in the past and found their service to be excellent.

Back