New Orleans Public Belt

derrty

N'awlins Railfan
Here's a custom job I did on this Round House NOPB boxcar. The car cost about five bucks and was all orange with unopenable doors. A few changes here and there...and a nice result for only my second weathering attempt.

What do you all think? How could I improve it?

Drew

Drew,

The colors are excellent, but was the paint still wet when you snapped the photo? It looks a bit shiny/glossy. I always use PolyScale acrylics since they dry flat.

You might want to send a PM to uspscsx, he's the resident expert on weathering...

Thanks guys.

Yeah, it's still glossy today...wrong paint it seems. Now I'm wondering how to give it the dry look?

I'll PM uspscsx, thanks...

derrty said:
Thanks guys.

Yeah, it's still glossy today...wrong paint it seems. Now I'm wondering how to give it the dry look?

I'll PM uspscsx, thanks...

Just spray it with "dullcoat" and it should flatten out. Actually any spray clear flat enamal will work. Nice work BTW!

I like the modified door. It adds a nice touch to the model. And the work was done cleanly enough that you can't really tell it's not supposed to be that way. Nice job.

What kind of paint did you use for the weathering?

Thank you.

I first hit it with some light spray paint(from about two ft.away), first orange, then brown. Next I brushed on some Testors brown gloss enamel. Now I'm going to dry it out...so stay tuned.

Being n scale this offered an interesting challenge...I'll be starting my East St. Louis Junction Railroad boxcar tonight...

I've got an undec FMC box that I plan on painting and do up as a tattered faded NOPB unit.

Drew, while I am hardly the resident expert on anything, I like the general look of the car. As you've seen, Testor's enamal is not the best weathering paint since it's too glossy. There are two suggestions I'd make. First, do more of your weathering with chalks than paint. You can blend the colors better and get a more uniform look to the weather. If you don't like the result, you can use a damp cloth to wipe it off and start again, something you can't easily do with paint. If you do like the results, spray the car with some dullcote ad you're done.

Second, check out pictures of outside rib box cars and look at the ribs. The top surface of the ribs tend to stay clean while the panels between the ribs get dirty. You can fix this with a Q-Tip and some paint thinner on your model.

Back