New On30 Layout.

The Temporary Platform under the Chute that you refer to is MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard. It has very smooth surfaces that allow the Sector Plate to slide across. That piece of MDF is only 3 foot X 3 foot. Not enough to build a staging yard on. The Sector Plate is almost 4 feet long. I expect to be able to get 4 less than 4 foot long trains or two around 8 foot long trains in Staging on the tracks leading away from the Sector Plate in post 133. Maybe I'm using a Sector Plate because I like to experiment!
OK, just asking.

I have just completed my First #6 Turnout with my Fast Tracks Jig. There are no written instructions on how to build one. But, Tim Warris the owner of Fast Tracks puts out a series of videos on their construction. There are also many Videos on building Turnouts on the web. I made a couple mistakes, I forgot to cut through the copper on the PC Ties, which would make for a huge short on the layout and I did not File down one of the stock rails. I filed the PC ties while they were soldered into the turnout and used a ohm meter to determine when I had cut them all through and had to remove and file the stock rail from the turnout to fix it. It's a learning process, I likely won't make those mistakes again.

HPIM8608.JPG

Last edited:
(This post was moved to a new thread about using Hattons to sell off a large inventory of freight equipment entitled "Selling off my inventory of Freight cars" Please look for it there).

Last edited:
Fast Tracks uses Printed Circuit Board material which is Copper Clad on both sides as the way of securing the shape of the turnouts rails with solder. However, if left as used, the PC Ties would cause direct shorts, because it's just like running wires between the rails. To fix this, the builder needs to take a Triangular file and cut the copper part of the PC Tie in two or three places, dependent upon it's location in the turnout. Its' easiest to do this before soldering them into the turnout.

Precise alignment is assured by the use of pins that are pushed through the sector plate and into the MDF beneath it. The pin is located in back of the right wood rail on the side of the Sector Plate. It is not visible in these views.

Working on adding casters to the small work bench below the first section of the new layout (Post 120). Once this is completed it will be easy to pull the bench out, so I can install and maintain wiring and switch machines on the underside of the layout

Last edited:
Ash Pit
Hope you can beat C-19.
I had a small HO layout that got dismantled to make way for a Home Office, forced on me by C-19.
Prior to that I had collected a few ON30 engines & wagons, mainly focused on a possible logging layout.
However, I had always wanted an HO Rivarossi Big Boy & I picked one up off Ebay last year.
So I am back & forth on whether to build again for HO, or ON30?
Has anyone created a layout that allows for both scales, maybe HO at one end & ON30 at the other, or one at the front, the other at the back?
S75

Last edited:
Ash Pit
Hope you can beat C-19.
I had a small HO layout that got dismantled to make way for a Home Office, forced on me by C-19.
Prior to that I had collected a few ON30 engines & wagons, mainly focused on a possible logging layout.
However, I had always wanted an HO Rivarossi Big Boy & I picked one up off Ebay last year.
So I am back & forth on whether to build again for HO, or ON30?
Has anyone created a layout that allows for both scales, maybe HO at one end & ON30 at the other, or one at the front, the other at the back?
S75

My wife and I beat Covid 19 back in November. We had very mild cases.

Other than the fact that my real enjoyment in Model Railroading is building things, I do have plans for what I hope to end up with. Since I am building what in essence is logging line, signaling is probably not going to be needed. This is a part of what will allow me to be very simple in the design and execution of this layout. Other than it will be operated by my Digitrax Zephyr Express DCC system, electronics will be kept to a minimum. I might use Woodland Scenic's "Just Plug" Lighting system for the lights on the layout and lights in buildings. As it sits right now I have a few freight cars and one Passenger Coach. I have four locomotives, three Bachmann's: a Climax, a Heisler and their 2-4-4-2 Mallet and one C-l6 2-8-0 made by BLI. I can't predict what I might decide I need in the future other than there likely will not be any diesels! I am steered towards simplicity because I am after all a Luddite! It seems to me that in general, Model Railroading is getting to be pretty complicated. I don't really want to fool around with Arduinos; or, much in the way of electronic do hickys to run things, so sorry, if that is your interest your not likely to see it here. Although I will have to add sound to the three Bachmann locomotives and my count at being able to add sound to previous locos is three misses and one hit. I'm not against all the electronics that is being added to peoples layouts and if you like that stuff I get it. It's just not where I think I am headed!

If you look over what I have just stated, you should notice that I haven't said anything as categorically not going to happen! I know enough about myself to know I can become "Dazzled by Bobbles"!

Last edited:
Anybody have any input on Suit Case IDC connectors? I've never used them and am having a somewhat difficult time closing the cover.

Thanks in advance!!

I used the IDC connecters for my entire layout.....I am very satisfied with them. I made sure I had the correct connecter for the wire size I am using, and the tool to apply them....not pliers.....
Once applied, you can't be in the wiring yanking it around..... here's a couple of pics.....
IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2350.JPG

Back