New On30 Layout.

Willie, Are you asking how big the layout is going to be? If not, what do you mean by: "how large an area you plan on using"?
To me, they are one and the same. Example being that my layout is 640 sq ft, but a lot of that is aisle space. Since it is two levels, is it 1280 sq ft?
To make it simple, how big is the layout going to be?

I have a space that is 10 feet by 23 feet, it's not going to use up all that space, it's sort of an around the walls layout.

Basically the layout is a yard and a track heading out to a return loop with a Car Ferry joined to it. There will also be a series of switch backs leading up to a logging area, which will have a mine off of it. I'm planning on hand laying the track and if I find this too tedious I'm going to hand lay all my turnouts and I will buy flex track to complete, However, I am looking forward to trying hand laying my track, as I think it will be cathartic. We shall see! I will be using Fast Track's stuff to do the track laying. The hold up right now is getting my Homasote from my lumber store, 3 sheets were supposed to have been here last Monday. They came; but, one was trashed. That was then supposed to have been replaced on last Wednesday and didn't come. Then it was supposed to have come today and didn't. Patience is wearing thin!

Last edited:
Going to try to show my layout, drawn in Anyrail 6. Instead of downloading files I just took screen shots to post here.

HPIM8541.JPG

Photo one shows the upper portion of the yard and and track heading off to the right.

HPIM8542.JPG

Photo # 2 shows a continuation of the track heading off to the right. You can also see my switch backs heading to higher ground at the top of the photo.

HPIM8543.JPG

Phot # 3 shows the return loop with a couple of spurs and the logging operation all the way to the right. The two curved turnouts within the loop haven't been cut into the track, yet, as I need a siding at this location for the Car Ferry. The Car Ferry is all the way to the upper left on the loop.

HPIM8544.JPG

Moving back to the left at the level of the return loop I am showing the bottom of the yard, with the turntable and the Sector Plate is the long track heading down to the base of the drawing. The Sector Plate will be almost 4 feet long and pivot so that it can meet up with the two storage tracks

Last edited:
The above photos show my work in Anyrail 6. The program is a learning process and naturally as you work on a layout plan, things can and do change over time. CAD programs need to be used quite a bit, so that you can learn how to do things. While I was designing this track plan I became O.K. in my proficiency of the CAD programs use. As time went by and changes where deemed necessary, I had forgotten how to do things! I guess t hat is the price we pay for becoming 71 years old. I never figured out how to draw the Sector Plate, the Car Ferry and I haven't added any buildings or scenery. I really don't need to do this as I know what it is that I want to add. Also, it would hav been nice to figure out how to reproduce the track plan onto a 8 1/2 X 11 inch sheet of paper. It is what it is and I can live with it! A nice feature is: I figured out how many ties I need and how much rail will be needed. It also shows the sizes of sections and how they fit together. Having done my share of Tool and Die designs with Pencil and paper and sketched out with pencil and paper quite a few layout designs, I can state unequivocally that the CAD process is far better! Anyrail 6 at $59.00 is dang good deal!

Last edited:
In photo #4 it shows the yard, where the Sector Plate comes into the yard, this track will be a Tunnel entrance, this will hide the Sector Plate and Storage Tracks from the rest of the layout. There will also be a partition between the Storage Tracks and the yard. I'm thinking a piece of a Cripple Bush rock scenery will help conceal the storage tracks from the yard. <http://www.cripplebush.net/index.htm> Since I like to think about stuff for a while before I actually do things, the Cripplebush rock face I will use is not yet known to me.

Sherrel, What WORD are you talking about??

LOL, Ash Pit!
I had an Aunt (lived to 102) who always said that - sort of like an exclamation point, or when she was miffed at someone or something, or when she was surprised at something new. Nowdays most of us just say CRAP in a stronger sense.

Last Wednesday I got my second Covid 19 Vaccination. The next day I had Flu like symptoms and finally feel almost back to normal today, Saturday the 27th. Needless to say I haven't had much interest in working on the new layout. I'm sort of at an impasse right now, I need to move our freezer that is pretty much full of food, so I can push the section I am working on to it's final position. (No photos)!

Glad to read that you received the second shot. I felt that a lot of "self-imposed" stress was removed when I got mine about a month ago. Fortunately my only reaction was a sore shoulder for two days, the same as when I get any shot.
Careful with that freezer move. Hopefully you'll get over the funk soon.

No, I felt pretty ill after both Vaccinations. In fact I would have to say that I was more ill after the vaccinations than I was when I had Covid 19 back in November. Please understand that I am extremely thankful that the Covid 19 I had was so mild! In fact my wife and I felt we only had mild colds; but, thought that some of our symptoms where a match to what they were describing for Covid 19; so, we thought we should go and get tested. We we're pretty much house bound at the time and have no idea where we had made contact with someone who had the virus. We are both O-Positive type blood and had heard that this might contribute to the mild cases. At any rate enough about this and back to the topic.

I have my Digitrax Zephyr Express installed along with some of the ancillary equipment: Rrampmeter, Circuit Breaker, etc. Have run some tests and have to correct some things before proceeding. As far as moving the freezer I will wait until my 40 year old sons are here for Easter to move it.

Last edited:
Over the past few days, I have collected materials for this project. 2 sheets of 1/2 X 4 X 8 CDX Plywood (Good grief the price!) 3 sheets of 1/2 inch X 4 X 8 Homasote and a sheet of 1/2 X 4 X 8 MDF particle Board. The MDF and Homasote where almost reasonable. MDF stands for Medium Density Fiberboard. It is very smooth and straight and I think I might use it also in place of CDX Plywood. Today I'm going to buy some 1 X 3 X 8 foot and 1 X 2 X 8 foot strip wood and a new saw blade for my Skill Saw. Were having the Boys and their wives and Grand-Kinders home for Easter, so will be involved in the Honey Do list until later, on Sunday when everyone goes home and I can get back after it. Having Fun, NOW!!

Last edited:
Going to try to show my layout, drawn in Anyrail 6. Instead of downloading files I just took screen shots to post here.

View attachment 126155

Photo one shows the upper portion of the yard and and track heading off to the right.

View attachment 126156

Photo # 2 shows a continuation of the track heading off to the right. You can also see my switch backs heading to higher ground at the top of the photo.

View attachment 126157

Phot # 3 shows the return loop with a couple of spurs and the logging operation all the way to the right. The two curved turnouts within the loop haven't been cut into the track, yet, as I need a siding at this location for the Car Ferry. The Car Ferry is all the way to the upper left on the loop.

View attachment 126158

Moving back to the left at the level of the return loop I am showing the bottom of the yard, with the turntable and the Sector Plate is the long track heading down to the base of the drawing. The Sector Plate will be almost 4 feet long and pivot so that it can meet up with the two storage tracks
Just a comment on your photo 2(I believe). I have a similar design for my sawmill - Sawmill complex in the middle with a "Y." One leg of my Y goes up into the forest and the other leg off to market. My track work looks about that crooked too.........
1617306996042.png

I have found that the Tony's Train Exchange Power Shield Circuit Breaker has failed and I need to replace. A new PSX Circuit Breaker has been ordered from Yankee Dabbler and when I get this, it will be installed. I had commented about how nice it was that Yankee Dabbler charged realistic prices for shipping. No longer, they add in their cut now!

MowBoss What you have drawn is very similar to what I had in this location on my HO layout. You'll have two reversing sections right next to each other. How will you wire that? Will you need two Automatic Reverse Units or can you get by with only one?

I have found that the Tony's Train Exchange Power Shield Circuit Breaker has failed and I need to replace. A new PSX Circuit Breaker has been ordered from Yankee Dabbler and when I get this, it will be installed. I had commented about how nice it was that Yankee Dabbler charged realistic prices for shipping. No longer, they add in their cut now!

MowBoss What you have drawn is very similar to what I had in this location on my HO layout. You'll have two reversing sections right next to each other. How will you wire that? Will you need two Automatic Reverse Units or can you get by with only one?
Sorry bout that... I drew the "Y" at the wrong end. I wanted to comment on how similar your drawing was to my operation. This is more to what I have for my sawmill/logging operation. I actually had to go and look - must be the Alzheimers setting in... Like an ice cream on a cone.... I only use one automatic reverse loop unit. No disrespect to your drawing or your vision. I often times get hung up on an idea and a different set of eyes sets me on a different and most times better path. What works for me is the ability to park a work train in the woods and/or spot log/lumber loads on one leg of the Y while allowing a road engine to access the main. Legs on my "Y" are about 4 1/2'. Like I mentioned, I was just struck on the similarly (to me) of your design.
1617377210148.png

My two sons were home for Easter and we went down in the basement, moved the freezer about 5 feet to the south and slid the First Section of the layout to its' final destination and also placed the small storage bench under the First Section.

I've been waiting for the above to happen, so I can proceed with actually starting the track laying and building the Sector Plate. Because I have placed the Storage Bench back under the First Section, I no longer have room for my Scroll Saw and need to find another location for it. It might end up on my main workbench, or next to it, if I can find a better spot for all my paint cans.

HPIM8602.JPG

I'm going to eventually mount castors (rollers) on the Storage Bench making it easier to pull out an push back in. I will also be lowering the back drop down to table height.

HPIM8603.JPG

The freezer needs to get pushed another 6-8 inches to the left and move back closer to the wall. Eventually I will need to be able to get to the other side of the First Section to make up and disassemble trains on the storage tracks that will be laid there.

Back