New On30 Layout.

Haven't made any progress on the layout for a month or so, now. Summer activities are taking up my time. Am home now for a couple days and might get busy with it, if the mood strikes.

Still involved with Summer Activities and haven't done much on the layout in a few months, other than weathering some cars. Wanted to bring this thread back to the for front so I can find.

Summer is all but over. Still going over to the boat on Week Ends; but, home during the week. I weathered and detailed a couple of AMS cars over the summer, and now have a Turntable kit to build. The kit is from Kitwood Hills Models, Simon Cox, the proprietor is a great person to deal with. For some reason, my kit shipment sat at Chicago for a month. Simon said that he has had trouble with shipments made that need to process through Chicago and not to worry. When the shipment arrived my address was correct and plainly visible, so that was not the problem. I had sent many shipments via Ebay over the years and never had a problem with Chicago before. Anyway, this is what I am actively involved with now and I am enjoying the build very much! I am building Kitwood Hills Models 11.25 long Gallows Turntable. It is Model Number KHT450. Kitwood Hills has many models for On30 and O scale which will work for On30.

So, I'm back and planning on posting here over the Fall, Winter and Spring, again.

So, given the nature of the folks here at this Forum, I need to prove that I am actually doing something railroady, by suppling photos of what I am doing. This is photos of my Kitwood Hills Turntable that I have a couple weeks in on the build. Photo one shows the Turn Table Pit. This went together easily; but, follow the instructions.

HPIM8616.JPG

The following photo shows the Gallows Turn Table, itself. Sorry about the Focus. Maybe I will attempt to replace with a better photo at some point. Again, the build is fairly easy. Simply one foot in front of the other and using Simon Cox's instructions make all pretty clear. I am at the end of the build process. Which means installing Nut, Bolt, Washer details. This Turn Table builds into a Jack Armstrong Powered Turn Table, There will be handles attached at each end for the engine crew to push and pull on to turn and align the table to what ever track is needed. The kit does not come with any type of indexing feature. My current thought is to run the table with DCC and align the table manually.

HPIM8617.JPG

Last edited:
Kitwood Hills models can be found at: <https://www.kitwoodhillmodels.com/on30-turntables/> Simon Cox, the proprietor has many and various kits for O scale, On2 On30, and HO (seeing how On30 and HO gauge are the same. He also offers Buildings, Paddle Steamers and Freight cars in On30. Simon is a a great guy to do business with. Be aware that he is located in England, so shipping can take some time.

A couple-three more photos of the Turntable Build:

1st photo is of the bottom of the bridge, showing the wiper contact for supplying track power to the bridge. If you go back to the first photo in Post 186, you can see the two contacts that make contact with this wiper contact, just outside of the Center Pivot Bering.
HPIM8619.JPG

Photo 2 shows the Motor and Motor Assembly Mount. (Again, out of Focus! I guess I really need to use my tripod).

HPIM8620.JPG

Photo 3, Shows the gear attached to the motor shaft, which powers the swing of the Turntable.

Last edited:
For all practical purposes the Turntable is complete and ready to install on the layout at this time. I would guess that total assembly time took about 20 hours. The stains used to make the wood look aged is Micro-Mark's Railroad Tie and Bridge Stain. Paints used were Micro Mark's MicroLux and Vallejo's Acrylics.

Last edited:
AP - Looking really good. Are those cables wire or thread?
How are you finding working in 1/4 scale as opposed to 1/87?

BTW - I was beginning to wonder where you were?

AP - Looking really good. Are those cables wire or thread?
How are you finding working in 1/4 scale as opposed to 1/87?

BTW - I was beginning to wonder where you were?
Sirfoldalot,

The cables are actually Music Wire.

I like On30 better, more detail and Narrow Gauge is more fun!

Yeh, well, I'm back now.

AP

Sirfoldalot, I have wondered if I should paint the cables some rusty color? At present I am attempting to make static grass tufts to place in the Turn Tables pit, along with detailing the pit floor.

Here is a photo of the detailing of the pit floor. (Now, all of a sudden, the photo size has been reduced! Is changing the size of the photos something the Moderators are able to do? This size does not lend itself towards showing details)!

Attachments

• HPIM8626.JPG
    HPIM8626.JPG
    351.7 KB · Views: 95

Back