New N scale post! New N scale post!

dgwinup

Okay, a little trickery to get you to look in here, although this IS a new post!

Just wondering why N scalers aren't posting on this site, or at least they aren't posting under this topic. I'm getting tired of seeing the 2-6-6-2 heading all the time. It means that no one has posted here.

Is everyone just using the other threads or have all the N scale people disappeared into the woodwork?

Darrell, quiet...for now

Just wondering why N scalers aren't posting on this site
Ok! you did the first step, starting a thread. Some people, for some reason are reluctant to start a thread but do join in the discussions. Everyone is welcome to start a topic of their choice or post a question requesting help or information. The way I see it is there are forum leaders who start topics and the joiners who like to join in the discussions. Myself, I'm not into N scale (physical limitations) but I have no problem with joining a discussion and try to help if I can. Think of a Topic, then post it, watch to see what happens. Bear in mind that questions, when answered soon fade from active topics.
13.gif
Willis

I don't model in Normal scale, it's all Horribly Oversized. See, I can talk the N scale talk. :D

I would love to see more N scale discussion though!

N Scale? Isn't that the scale where kids swallow $100 engines?

I to am currently HO, although I have plans for a N scale shelf layout. I might come over here more when I get started on that project.

dgwinup said:
Is everyone just using the other threads or have all the N scale people disappeared into the woodwork?
I, too, am a born-n-bred Higher Order scale modeler - but Nvisible has some attractive attributes, such as providing 4x the 'real estate' in the same amount of absolute space. If I were Bill Gates and didn't have to control my spending, I'd probably invest heavily in that as well.

Tell you what: How about you post some pics of YOUR N-pire here to kick things off, that should generate a flood of "me-too" photo posts from other Nscalers!

Great suggestion, kenL. The pictures I have are crappy, but I'll take some more soon and post them here.

Chip, with all the knowledge you have, scale is unimportant. Your comments here in N scale will be appreciated just as much as anywhere else.

grande man, you get an "A" in ENglish, today!

Darrell, Normally quiet...for now

dgwinup said:
Chip, with all the knowledge you have, scale is unimportant. Your comments here in N scale will be appreciated just as much as anywhere else.

Well I do have some experience in N scale. In fact, I created a point-to-point layout before I created Tater Mountain.

hiho.gif

I'm N N Scaler myself, there just isn't really Nything to talk about. ;)

I would have liked to have an HO layout, but because of space restrictions I had to choose either a small HO layout or a large N layout, I chose the latter.

SpaceMouse said:
Well I do have some experience in N scale. In fact, I created a point-to-point layout before I created Tater Mountain.

hiho.gif

A closet N scaler, eh? Okay by me!

Looks like a lot of action on that point to point!

Glad to see you and others are posting here. Strange that the N scale topic gets more posts from HO people, and the one N scaler who posted wished he was in HO. Strange world!

Darrell, still trying to get better pics to post, but quiet...for now

I would also like to see more posting here. I'm currently modeling N scale, at first I was going to go with HO, but after I got into N scale I seen it was the " only " way to go.

Stan.

Stan,

Glad to hear that you have finally seen the light!

N scale has gotten so much better in the last 10 or 15 years. Quality on a parr with any other scale. I don't have the heart to get rid of my old engines, though. They have served me well over the years and most still run as well or better than when new. Not as detailed as the newer engines, but I'm happy with them.

Still haven't gotten any good layout pictures to post. Must work on that some more. Anyone else care to post a few pics?

Darrell, quiet...for now

I've been planning an N scale shelf layout where two interchange yards meet. That means a lot of switching. Now for a dumb question.

How you uncouple those-itty bitty things?

There are plastic uncouplers on the market. Just insert an uncoupler between the couplers, twist lightly, and the cars uncouple (The twist lightly part takes a little while to get used to though, I learned that the hard way. My first uncoupling attempt resulted in ten cars derailed in the middle of a large yard. ;) )

I use these on the layout a friend of mine has, but I'm too lazy to run down to the LHS and get them for my layout, so I uncouple the manual way (Lift up one car and move the other one away, DON'T try this on a real railroad :D )

Last edited by a moderator:
Those little twisty things are called Rix Pix, made by Rix, same people who make the re-railing ramp and such. They work pretty well, but the pointed ends are a little delicate. They work on Rapido and Micro Trains, and maybe others. Wooden skewers, used for shish-kabobs, have also been recommended, but I haven't tried them yet.

Micro Trains has uncoupling magnets in several different configurations. They used to have an electromagnetic uncoupler. Don't know if it's still available. Some of the magnets cause unintentional uncoupling, so proper installation is critical.

Darrell, still coupled, but quiet...for now

Since we're on the subject of small, anyone ever dabble in Z? We've been doing a lot of mold making and injection molding in Z lately and it's really starting to interest me. Talk about getting a big layout in a little space...

I've got a small Z-scale oval that I take out and run periodically. The people at Caboose Hobbies love me because I’ll buy just about anything that’s D&RGW. It’s a cute little train but they’re hard to handle.

View attachment 2093I’ve also started a dual N/Nn3 narrow gauge line on my layout. I’ve got a really cool Nn3 2-6-0 and some gondolas that I’m going to build a “tourist” line with.

ok dgwinup,(hey, i know you.:D ) i am going to post a couple pics of my N layout. maybe this will help get others posting.;) -Dean

CP990, NICE Milwaukee E7!;) oddly though, i think pics with your Nickle plate road engine are the best, and i'm not really into steam.:D for some reason those two pics really stick out to me. NICE shots! -Dean

CP990 said:
This layout is just something I threw together in 4 or 5 days because I needed something here next to the computer desk. My main layout is in my train room, N scale "L" shaped 17 ft x 3 ft.
Dave.
Dave, your main layout, got pics? if those shots were from a quick put together layout, i would LOVE to see some of your main layout.:D -Dean

Back