New MRC decoder for Switchers. What do you know?

William, just measure the frame rim of the speaker mount (diameter) in your locos. That is all you need. If you go to Tony's web site, the speakers have the dimensions listed. It will be best to get a high quality speaker

RexHea said:
One thing that puzzles me is why MRC would have such a heffty price tag on the new "Brilliance" decoders. Even at discounted prices they are still $6 more expensive than the powerful Tsunami.

Well, at the risk of being accused of piling it on MRC, that was a comment I heard a lot of at the Nat'l Train Show last July. The price competition was observed to become fierce as soon as the Tsunami and Digitrax decoders came out. The only thing MRC could have had going for it was that it could be 'the first', since the Tsunami was vaporware for so long, and the Digitrax one was newly announced. QSI wasn't doing the retail thing yet, and Loksound was just coming out; their price point was somewhat higher. So, MRC would have a niche, if only briefly.

At this point in time, the only thing I could say about their Brilliance decoders is if it's the only one that fits your application, then go ahead and buy it. But. if size isn't a concern or if one of the other brands fits just as well, most folks will go for the big names. A couple of us commented on this fact at the Show; which led to the 'reinvent themselves' observation.

Kennedy

I should probably add this comment as well. For a long time, MRC powerpacks were the way to go. If you had a layout, or were building one, everybody would tell you to get one of the MRC ones. Eventually, you may go to DC Cab control, but a lot of folks would power things with just a couple of powerpacks using block switches.

Nowadays, DCC rules. Many folks are starting right out with DCC, though for the real small time operators, DC will still work. But, it's mainly a transition time for the powerpack industry.

MRC has to change with the times. I'm sure they've lost market share; while DC still has a following, the majority of the serious MR hobbyists will be running DCC. And that just seems to me that MRC will be left out unless they offer something in that line.

Kennedy

You make some very good points, Kennedy. You would think that MRC would wise up and lower their prices on the new Brilliance models. Tsunami was orginally going to sell for a discount price of $134, but when Digitrax got into the sound market, the Tsunami ended up selling for $80. This was a no-brainer since Soundtraxx now had a new and worthy competitor, plus they had to regain lost territory in the market.

They may still reduce prices, however I wonder about production runs and cost coverage. They may be looking at quick cost recovery vs long-term cost sustainment. Certainly, threads like this telling folks to go with Soundtraxx, Digitrax or Loksound doesn't do MRC any good. MRC prices would have to be a big bargain before most of us would buy one.

Speaking strictly for myself, at the prices we're talking about now, and considering the number of locos I would like to convert, I don't know if even a $10 price advantage would get me to buy an MRC. You'd probably agree with me that it's a Catch-22; especially if the Brilliants are top-notch. Not enough of us would buy them for them to really catch on. I think it's a bit sad that with all of the complaints about the QSI decoders in the past, most folks wouldn't consider the Brilliant as a viable alternative; folks are waiting for the Digitrax or Tsunami product.

Kennedy

Going along with what you have all ready mentioned, the only way I would buy an MRC at their present price is if it is the only one that fits the need. That is why I was inquiring about the size. These little switchers have very little room for the larger sound decoders. In fact, I had to use an N scale NCE motor decoder for my P2k SW7. (I can probably forget sound in that one, Ha!)

I would like to see MRC and other companies come into the sound market with a viable sound decoder, but have a competitive price tag. The more companies involved...the more research and development...the better the product...the lower the cost to the consumer. (Theoretically :rolleyes: )

Back