Hi Patrick, I'm new here to and i'm confused about code 172. What is that. I model N-scale and O-scale 3-Rail, but I've never heard of 172. Is that O 2 rail or HO?

Sleeper,

I'm not sure if you question is regarding what Code 172 is.... But if you model both N scale and O scale, you understand the difference in rail heights between the two. I'm not an authority on N scale so forgive me if I am wrong. N scale uses a lot of Code 55 rail. The 55 is much smaller than your 3 rail stuff, which is probably code 172 or 148. These numbers refer to the height of the rail in inches. Code 55 is .055 of an inch tall. Code 172 rail is .172"'s tall.
http://www.handlaidtrack.com/18-Single-Piece-Micro-Engineering-Rail-s/2182.htm

My layout is O scale 2 rail built to Proto48 track standards.
http://www.proto48.org

Does this help at all? lol

Patrick

I understand about the height. I just didn't know if it was O-scale or HO scale. I'm not familiar with O-2 rail stuff and only know about O-3 rail stuff, but every time I searched for Code 172, I was coming up with HO track.

Code 172 would be getting G scale/fine scale I would think. Shouldn't be related to HO at all. I'm using code 138, 125, and code 100

Patrick

Do you need some code 172 for a project? I can help you look. Tons of ol' S guagers and O gaugers in Michigan

Oh no, but thanks anyway. I have too many 3-railers to change over now and beside I just don't have the room to start a new one.
A friend of mine gave me some S-scale switches recently and I considered starting another small S layout but when I realized that there was so little to chose from, I changed my mind. I live in southern CA the land without basements and its just too hard to have a decent O-scale layout. I have a 3 car garage, but I have a full wood shop out there and I tried to get one started on my back 15' x 30' covered patio, but the wind and dust proved to be too much.

I've been plugging away a few minutes a day. The yard is almost filled with ties. Next is ballast and ground cover. 2015-2-4 (2).jpg2015-2-4 (3).jpg2015-2-4 (6).jpg2015-2-4 (7).jpg

Wow. You guys who lay your own rails on the ties impress the hell out of me.

People say I have patience for working with N scale...but I would lose all sanity building tracks like this.

Its well worth the effort though because it looks super good when its done! Yours is well on the way to looking awesome!

Looks good. I am using CVT tie strips in HO for secondary trackage on my layout. You don't get the same feeling from flex track.

Patrick, that work is top notch. It looks like the ballast you are using is for a smaller scale - true? I only ask because it falls just right. I model in HO and use the "fine" ballast, yet it still looks like large rocks and it doesn't quite fall as nicely between and around the ties.

Again, nice work! Keep the pictures going!

Back