NEW MEMBER SAYING HELLO!

dlclarkii

New to G scale. Built my first outdoor layout last year. I wanted to share a few pictures of my new layout in Lancaster, PA.

My daughter loves trains. It's right outside her bedroom window.

I'm 40 and I've had HO and Lionels my entire life. I decided to get into G last year for my daughters enjoyment. It's been a fun learning experience.

I use a Control Master 20 transformer to power the train. I bought everything second-hand piece by piece on Ebay and Craigslist.

I have a much larger G layout indoors in the basement running on the floor with a LGB C&S mogul pulling Bachmann freights cars.

IMG_1702.JPG
IMG_1684.JPG
IMG_1691.JPG
IMG_1693.JPG
IMG_1677.JPG
IMG_1703.JPG
IMG_7421.JPG
IMG_7484.JPG

IMG_7539.JPG

Last edited:

I added the chicken song to this keg car. Bought the sound card and speaker separate from the LGB chicken box car :) Upland trains had one for sale. Kick start it with an external 9V battery and the internal 9V battery keeps it playing. Installed LGB contact wheels to power the sound from the rail. The external 9V battery powers the rails when on display.

Last edited:
This is the only thing I bought brand new, Piko 0-6-0 switcher. May invest in DCC for this loco later. Right now I'm using a Command Master 20 that's pure DC to protect the delicate circuits. Piko has a NYC Mogul available this September.

I do not like the loco to tender connection. I prefer a cable and not a plug. The plug broke and I had to send it to San Diego to be repaired. Repair cost and 3 months later I got it back repaired. Was out of warranty. Bought it has a hospital charity auction last year.

IMG_1759.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1758.JPG
    IMG_1758.JPG
    861.1 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
wow...that space looks EXACTLY like the area at my parents new house where dad wants to do a G scale layout. I can't wait to show him these pics!! Awesome layout

Old thread but I happened to come across it here. With the outside track - are you powering the rails? Or do you run off batteries in a car? Reason I ask is one of the big challenges with outdoor garden layouts is track maintenance and keeping rails and wheels clean where they can conduct might be a challenge. That would be a good application for wireless DCC also.

With this being an older thread - what updates are there to the layout this season - if any?

Cool stuff.

Back