New Member, not new to trains

briangcc

Brian C from NY. My parents got me into Lionel in the early 70's - my dad custom painted a GP-7/9 in Conrail before they were making decals for it. Still have that set plus a lot more - Ives, Tinplate Lionel, and 4 bins worth of trains I've collected for my boys who are 7, 5, and 2. Each has their own Lionel train and we add to it every Christmas.

Also built, and later sold, a N scale layout - picture of the mining scene was in an old Walters World of N&Z...I think 1986?? I have the catalog squirreled away. Still have all the rolling stock/motive power and might bring that out at some point down the road. Moved into HO scale when I joined a modular group. Still have the module and rolling stock/motive power. Scratch built a DD35-B from Athearn parts - published in MRC in the 90's with my dad. Also kitbashed a Maeirsk GP-60M which was published in Model Railroading...this was before Athearn made theirs. Built a bunch of Hobbytown cast metal locomotives and have a few more to go. Repowered and custom painted a set of Varney cast F2/3's A-B-B-A in Santa Fe red/silver warbonnet. Built and custom painted a slew of RailPower Products diesels. So not a stranger to building/customizing trains in the least.

Brian, welcome to the forum and welcome back to the hobby. I'll bet you're impressed with how far N scale has come. They used to be pretty toy like, but recent ones look really nice, and they're affordable too. Not cheap, but cheaper than buying the same stuff in HO.

Back