New Member Hello!

Smitty

I started thinking about trains for my new grandson, and then remembered how much I enjoyed my dads set when I was a kid. A few YouTube videos later I'm officially hooked. Over time I've been collecting some modeling tools, locomotives, rolling stock, basic tools, DCC controller, a working lamp..every week adding to the stack of "train stuff". I'm planning on a 6x9ft layout in HO scale, with possibly a little N scale around the perimeter. Made a wishlist of what I want on the layout, and trying to sketch out how it might look. The forum has been really helpful.

Welcome Smitty!
The most versatile and inexpensive tool you can use is your brain. Decide the scale to model , and where and when you want to model.
Then TRY to purchase items appropriate for that time and place. A Shay logging engine is out of place in 1990 Los Angles, but is great in 1950;s Oregon.
I have a weakness for vehicles and TRY not to buy anything larger or newer than 1957 in HO. I have about 300 HO vehicles before 1958 and 100 other younger and larger vehicles I could not resist.
However, it is your money and your layout, do as you wish!
The only dumb question is the one you don;t ask.

🌈 Smitty. I'm sensing your 6'X9' will be a flat plywood type.. If so, you certainly may do what your heart tells you. But before you do, maybe think about an open grid or L girder bench...These allow the formation of grades upward or down into valleys way way easier than a flat ply surface will. In here and on YouTube are lots of how-tos on the subject. A few of the many problems a flat board causes is the reaching across it to either rescue a stuck/derailed train, install/clean track, make scenery, do wiring, quite tough. Unless you plan to have aisleway around the 4 edges, with a 6' width, reaching even 3 feet can be arduous and treacherous.. If you don't wish to learn grid or girder framework (which is easier than may look at first and can actually be fun to make) consider an around-the-walls, shelf-like bench work if you have the availability to do this..It need only be 1 to 2 feet deep to have a busy realistic RR on it. And walking along it running a train really brings out the beauty of DCC walk-around control, with its small add-on daisy chained plug in panels or wireless control.
I apologise if I've guessed wrongly about your benchwork intentions. If I guessed correctly, I promise the 3 types I suggest will afford you a happier MRRing experience than a flat surface might.

disclaimer: The above in no way whatsoever means I believe those with flat surface layouts are any less good rails. I respect everyone's manner of the love of all things railroad. I only state the above when I believe it to be a new modeler who may not be aware of the alternative benchwork types.

Back