New Meltdown Looming???

Joe, I echo the 'congrats' of the others! I wish that book was available right now [instead of May '06], since I'm about to start ballasting all of my track.

Carey:

These special issues like this are all new material. In effect, it's a collection of the "best" of the new submissions to MR that all deal with a certain subject. In some cases, I believe they even solicit their regular authors for content on a given subject.

In my case, Andy Sperandeo saw some photos on my web site and contacted me, asking if I could do an article on my ballasting and track weathering techniques, which I did. And to my surprise, they felt the material was good enough that it ought to be the cover story of their special issue.

As part of the submission, I threw in a professionally produced 5 minute video demoing the techniques I discuss in my article. MR loved the video and has asked me for more. We're currently discussing how this would all work since video content is a new area for them. In the case of this special issue, if you get the issue, you get an access code to download and watch the video for free as a bonus.

I'm expecting to see MR branch out into more multimedia products on the hobby over time, and since I am producing how-to videos for the hobby myself professionally, MR's talking with me about what else I could do for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
CSX_road_slug said:
Joe, I echo the 'congrats' of the others! I wish that book was available right now [instead of May '06], since I'm about to start ballasting all of my track.

Ken:

My scenery clinic on this forum discusses the steps I use to ballast my track. If you have any questions about what I do, I encourage you to post them over in that clinic thread and I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Joe;

That's cool! I would personally like to see more items like this, and released more than once a year. I think it would be very good to have a single refernce that would cover multiple aspects of a single subject. Definitely would save space and money in my library, without having to buy five or six books just for the differnt techniques.

Back