New light for an old steamer

kjd

Go make something!
I spent much of the day putting DCC and a headlite into an older brass NP A5 4-8-4. The casting is not flush with the smoke box so I couldn't put a bulb in the smokebox and have it look right. N-gineering makes 2x3mm LEDs for projects such as these. I drilled #77 holes in the bottom of the headlite casting and the smokebox front. I wired the LED with N-gineering's magnet wire. The wire is .004" dia. My hair is .003".
26821.jpg

Here you can see the LED in the housing and a very small hole for the wire to go through.
26822.jpg

Here is the backside. I superglued a resistor in place and soldered the positive wire to it. I soldered a heavier gauge wire to the other leg. It will go up through the boiler to the decoder. The other wire also got soldered to a heavier piece of wire to pass through the boiler. I heat shrinked everything and stuck it in place with a piece of foam tape.
Now does it work?
26824.jpg

It does and it is quite bright!
26825.jpg

Here is a side view of the headlight. The wires are invisible.
26826.jpg

There are much smaller LEDs available for smaller housings. The smallest are about .030"x .060".
I also removed some paint from the pilot and rear truck to help with pickup and now the locomotive runs as well as it looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and now the locomotive runs as well as it looks.

And it looks great! Nice job with the wiring...the side view of the loco is intriguing with the space between the front of the loco and the light...

"That thing's lightin' up, but there ain't no wires!?" :eek:

If its run as it looks, you got a 10 as a modeller.

I'm thinking to add some ligths to a passenger car, do you know where I can get technical details to made it???

If its run as it looks, you got a 10 as a modeller.

I'm thinking to add some ligths to a passenger car, do you know where I can get technical details to made it???

The only passenger car I did used LED 5mm white to replace the stock bulbs. Getting even dispersion of the light is the challenge. Most of the LED and bulb manufacturers list the specs on the packaging or website.

Back