New Layout

RJE3

I have a 4x8 layout on plywood/foamboard and I have laid out my code 83 track the way I want it. Being new my question is I want totake up the rail and lay down cork roadbed - do I outline (mark) the rail layout on the foam and the added width for the cork? I am hoping there is a way that some of you would be able to give me a good idea to be able to progress with my layout. Thanks in advance.

I would just mark the outline of the existing track and use that as a reference , if your not going to make changes.

After marking the track outline, you could carefully mark the centerline and use it as a reference. I just mark the track outline itself and eyeball the overlap.

I have a 4x8 layout on plywood/foamboard and I have laid out my code 83 track the way I want it. Being new my question is I want totake up the rail and lay down cork roadbed - do I outline (mark) the rail layout on the foam and the added width for the cork? I am hoping there is a way that some of you would be able to give me a good idea to be able to progress with my layout. Thanks in advance.
In this situation, I usually take a marker and just go down the center of the laid out track. Then align the inside of 1/2 the cork roadbed to that dotted line.

Agreed, a mid-thick marker, and make a series of dots along the curves, two or three dots to represent tangents, and then closer dots for the curves again. Connect the dots. That's the 'centerline'. Your cork roadbed center goes overtop the dotted centerline, or the seam if it's split roadbed, goes down the centerline. Make the beveled edges of the roadbed outward, vertical faces abut each other over the centerline.

If, as multiple posters have suggested, you draw a center line, the roadbed will be placed exactly where you want it. And you have to remember the bottom of the cork roadbed is wider than the top. So, if you draw a line along the outside of the track you can't use that line. The line, technically, should go under the roadbed, or the roadbed will not be where it is supposed to be. Glenn

Back