New layout

WC3026

well here it is!!! I had to do it this way cause mobile homes dont have the greatest room lol. I think I will like being able to do long main like runs and able to do some switching. as of right now I have the little room loop and yard done, but ran out of track and cork so until i can find some one that will give me some and pay later I am at where I am now till I get it The loop in the room will not be a loop once the rest is done it will loop all the way out into living room then back into the bedroom. let me know if there is anything you would change on here to make it better!!!!

Nice long run, a yard, passing sidings, and a bar.
Yup, that's got all the required bits!

Are you leaving room for scenery on the long mainline run, or just making a shallow shelf for the tracks?

Well I havent decided what I am going to do yet for scenery but the long run is a foot wide so maybe some day i will have something. I was thinking about where it goes under the bar making it a tunnnel portal but i want to get all the track down and kinks worked out before i think about scenery.

Scenery is very important.......though my first objective was to aquire mega-amounts of track, switches, engines, railcars. I ran out of capital (for the moment) after getting 10 working locomotives, 95 freightcars, much track, 17 turnouts......alot of it previously owned. I might have started with less hardware....then had more $ for scenery, buildings, grass, trees, landscape, track ballast. But no regrets...it will all come with a little time.

Mike

I ran out of capital (for the moment)
Mike

That's my problem right now I am building it with wood and what not I have gotten from my dad I had track, cork, cars, and locos from my last layout. I am building this while trying to find a job, I figured why not do something I wont have to spend any money on and keep me from doing other stuff that i don't need to do and waste what little money i have. Well I found out i didn't have as much track and cork as i thought i had. to finish it up i would only need about 75ish feet of track and cork and i think like 6 or 7 turnouts. locos and cars are no problem right now cause I have four locos and maybe 30-40 cars.

Looking at your plan, it seems like you're shooting for out-and-back with wayfreight switching along the way. Good start, but you do have some substantial flaws from an operating perspective.

-Firstly...the yard is horrible. There isn't much other way of putting it. It carves right through the operating space in the middle of the loop and becomes uselessly small at the tips. You would be much better served by bringing the track along the leftmost wall out about 15" and then building the yard behind that with a compound ladder, or a pinwheel ladder in the corner. I also hop that all that straight track will be eased. Gradually curved track usually looks better than straight and the trains look sweet too. The passing siding can keep about where it is, but I'd add another passing siding (three tracks wide) and a drill track along the topmost wall so the yard can be switched while trains go by on the main.

-I'm also failing to see why the roundhouse is where it is, at the other end of the layout as the yard. The yard you've placed next to the roundhouse is also uselessly small and should be deleted in liu of scenery.

-The passing track at the bottom by the small loop should be moved so that it is along the turnback curve. where it is it eats space on the shelf that could go to scenery or spurs for switching.

-And speaking of switching, there is only one spur given for switching. As a suggestion, I advise you look at steinjr's switching plans and think about incorporating one of them into the shelf or taking cues from the design. I think the 'Atlantic and Western 3' would fit well if you could swing a 2' wide shelf for 10'.

http://home.online.no/~steinjr/trains/modelling/

I'm sorry if I sound too critical. but you seem to have alot of space and some good ideas, but the plan is flawed and I don't want you wasting resources on potential pitfalls.

Tachikoma I totally understand where you are coming from. I know that is dont look the greatest . I dont know if the round house will be there or not I might put a gravel pit there or something but this is just the rough plan. The reason I did the yard like I did is because I like being able to run trains on the main and be able to have multiple tracks to set out outgoing trains. also I like having to pull in and out to get cars I never really liked the drive through yards I think they are called fiddle yards. I also had to use what i had to use. everything has to be one foot wide in the kitchen and living room (the long area on the right side) due to it being used for every day life. I might change the lower part where the siding is to multiple spurs but have to see what everything looke like when i get some more track and can lay it out to see what it will look like not just on paper.

Thanks for critiquing my lay out

Well since I couldn't sleep tonight i thought I would go through and kinda redo the layout. changed a few things around and kinda like it a little better. I did away with the passing track, moved the round house into the bedroom by the yard, and added a mining facility to where the round house was before.
What design software are you using WC3026?

Mike

You should try SCARM. Vastly, vastly lighter in terms of the resources it consumes while running and has an enormous library of track. The flextrack function is easy to use as well.

WC, on the Small Layout Scrapbook there's a section on 1x6 micro-layouts and the New Haston looks like it could adapt to your track plan. I designed a version with #6 turnouts and 2' more of length. It cold look good with trains running by, or be switched on it's own. You would need to go down to single-track for it (or bring it to 14" wide and add a second track), but the track in the upper right could be extended behind the backdrop and serve as an interchange with another RR.

http://carendt.us/scrapbook/page98/

Well macjet If I had more room to work with I could do it the right way. Now I'm not saying that I cant do it the right way but I want to be able to run a train and have it come back to me where ever I am and then the ability do do some switching at the same time. Like I said before, this is just on paper and can change once I get it going. I have the loop and yard done in the room and it is running awesome, now once i get the other part done the room will no longer have a loop so the whole thing will be a continuous loop. I have also redone the south end where the mining is and widened it out a little so that in between the curves there is a straight section in there to help with easing the curves a little more.

well here are some shots of the progress!!!

And last but not least my buddy found it for me when I had my old layout in his shed until his "master plan" N gauge layout needed my spot!!!!
The best track cleaner I have ever used!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back