New Layout for LASM

Hey LASM

Any luck finding those trees?

Is there any chance you could use small branches off the real ones? I don't know how you would preserve them to keep them looking good, but I seem to remember reading about some one using real plants on their layout.

As always thanks for sharing your projects. I am learning much for possible future use.

I finally got around to watching your video. The layout looks great! The video only begs the question - where is the mess? Either you are as organized as I wish I was, or you have a work bench somewhere that holds everything you are using in no particular order!

Layout looks great! I'm looking forward to following along with the build!

I can't speak for lasm, but I'll say that I always take time to clean up after a work session.

Partly efficiency. I am more efficient when tools are in their right place, supplies back where they belong etc.... instead of "now where did I put down that ____?"

And it's aesthetic... i just feel better walking into the layout room and it's not covered in foam bits and sawdust and stuff laying all over. My 2c...

I can't speak for lasm, but I'll say that I always take time to clean up after a work session.

Partly efficiency. I am more efficient when tools are in their right place, supplies back where they belong etc.... instead of "now where did I put down that ____?"

And it's aesthetic... i just feel better walking into the layout room and it's not covered in foam bits and sawdust and stuff laying all over. My 2c...

I absolutely agree with everything you say. I normally leave out the tools that I know I'll be using soon. Or if there is a certain area of the layout that will be getting some work, I might leave the supplies close by. Also, I get most of my work done at night after the baby goes to sleep. There's been a couple of times where I'm in the middle of something, and I can hear him cry so where ever everything is at that moment, is where it stays until I get back in there!

I have quite a bit of experience working in a factory designing assembly lines. Besides efficiency of the machines, organization is the MOST important part. When everything is where it is supposed to be, work is smooth. And when work is smooth, good products are the result. Using this philosophy, lasm will have a wonderful layout in the end. Doesn't say much for mine though! :rolleyes:

Nicely done! Thank you for sharing it.

Just out of curiosity -- how much of the already-scenicked parts were from your suspended layout, or were they all from your earlier 4x8 (or was it larger? -- I don't recall)...?

Besides efficiency of the machines, organization is the MOST important part. When everything is where it is supposed to be, work is smooth. And when work is smooth, good products are the result. . :

I love a clean work area and clean stuff up and organize almost every day. I have the shop vac plugged in, too, and am even getting the little stuff sucked up every day. Sometimes I think I go overboard, but it is a lot more fun the next day when the whole area is clean.

Erik: There are 3 areas that came from the suspended layout, they are all the 30 or 32" curves and much the original ground cover and the track is still stuck just where I put them. Fast forward through the second progress video and you can see these.

Many of the buildings came from the original 4 x 8 layout, and were moved several times.

Thanks for checking out my stuff and the comments!!! lasm

Some pictures of the early stages of the hill/forest area and old growth White pine trees made from branches and cut up scouring pads:

This shot is where the old growth white pine forest will be and I am using old screen from a broken screen door and foam that comes in a spray can. The foam shapes with a knife.

atree 002.jpg

Here are a couple trees, fashioned after old white pine trees, should be scale 140' tall but made these 45-60' tall because dominate the layout if they are full scale. The diameters would be 2' to 4' which is authentic.

atree 003.jpg

I painted the bark on a couple and coated with rubber cement to add some texture, does not show up well. Two stems are painted and two are natural. They are supposed to have busted up tops and when they get old hail and wind has blown off a lot of the branches.

atree 005.jpg

Thanks for looking, lasm

I absolutely agree with everything you say. I normally leave out the tools that I know I'll be using soon. Or if there is a certain area of the layout that will be getting some work, I might leave the supplies close by. Also, I get most of my work done at night after the baby goes to sleep. There's been a couple of times where I'm in the middle of something, and I can hear him cry so where ever everything is at that moment, is where it stays until I get back in there!

I have quite a bit of experience working in a factory designing assembly lines. Besides efficiency of the machines, organization is the MOST important part. When everything is where it is supposed to be, work is smooth. And when work is smooth, good products are the result. Using this philosophy, lasm will have a wonderful layout in the end. Doesn't say much for mine though! :rolleyes:
Best thing I ever got was this utility cart: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-2...VecIjbWzqRM8qkFlRnK7MRoCAQnw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I keep the "active" tools and supplies in it. Wheel it around towherever I'm working. Rolls under the layout at end of day.... ready access to what I'm using without stuff laying all over.

I started putting the plaster on the screen and covered more of the foam. Think I read it on here but thinning the mud more made application a lot easier, this part can potentially be very fast.

Working on trees while waiting for mud to dry. Got my system down to less than 30 minutes per tree, 6 done so far. Have numerous pre made trees for filler stuff, but these big ones are the ones they are logging. Of coarse, there will be a bunch of stumps, too.

I keep moving buildings around so I don't knock them over, also gives me different perspectives on placement

abplaster 006.jpg

Still making improvements on the trees, these will be crowded together in groups on the hillside and maybe a couple groups on the flat, also an area of stumps nearer the track and smaller trees and a small amount of undergrowth is planned under these.

abplaster 005.jpg

Thanks for looking, lasm

Attachments

• atree 005.jpg
    atree 005.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 212
Last edited by a moderator:
I "nearly completed" a corner of the layout with a forest area and logging scene. Attached a photo of a couple workers and a video showing the plaster and screen method of making a hill and how it turned out!

logging 002.jpg

[video=youtube;8Ed695Y75JQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ed695Y75JQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Thanks for viewing!! lasm

As far as the joint compound, I used two coats, one thinned and the first was straight out of the container. It seems like the stuff I thinned like pancake batter actually shrunk less. The thinned stuff was a lot easier to spread, too; however does not do vertical as well.

The shrinking did create an artistic effect in a couple areas.

Thanks for checking out my stuff!! lasm

I dont know if you have any more to do but you might want to try this we used to do this when we needed a wall oatch to dry fast and not shrink thin out the joint compound to a thin pancake batter then sprinkle plaster of paris on top and mix well dont use more then 25% plaster or it will go off to fast.I would try it on a small area first just so you get used to how it reacts and set up time.

Back