New layout design, looking for feedback

One caution is that when you solder all the rail joints there isn't any way for the tracks to "adjust" to changes in temperature or humidity. It is a good practice to leave a few joint unsoldered to allow rail to adjust to changes in the benchwork (humidity) or temperature.

One caution is that when you solder all the rail joints there isn't any way for the tracks to "adjust" to changes in temperature or humidity. It is a good practice to leave a few joint unsolder-ed to allow rail to adjust to changes in the bench work (humidity) or temperature.

There several schools of though on this subject and I believe the bench-work expands the most rather than roadbed or the rails themselves, especially if it's cookie cutter construction. It wouldn't harm anything to add a few unsolder-ed joints with a small gap to allow for rail expansion, should it happen.

Greg

Last edited:
There several schools of though on this subject and I believe the bench-work expands the most rather than roadbed or the rails themselves, especially if it's cookie cutter construction. It wouldn't harm anything to add a few unsolder-ed joints with a small gap to allow for rail expansion, should it happen.

Greg

Okay, so I didn't mention that part, thanks for calling it out!

I'm not exactly sure where to put the "loose" joint due the layout design. Maybe in the back where the track will be hidden and one up top by the double crossover. My thought: hidden track is the last place I want there to be an expansion problem, and the double crossover has a lot of naturally occurring physical constraints already. What do you guys think?

make it fun and your son will play train with you as my too grand kid do when i n looking after them thaw like turning on the street and house ligths as the trains are going around the track

Chris, my son loves watching those things run in circles. His biggest interest is finding the longest possible train he can haul with one engine, he's right on board with the rest of us!

I'm confident that his interest at 6 years old will grow later in life, especially if I can manage to keep a layout around later into life. I look forward to watching it happen 😊

Knocked this together for my grandson. Walker was $10 on Craigslist, 3/4" plywood scrap. Hardware store broom clips lock everything together plus you can remove the stand, fold the walker for storage. I stand him in it like an "armchair" and tuck the open side against the layout. The open side faces the layout while the walker provides a safety guard rail sides and back. He's able to lean in and 'help....'
1592441652883.png
1592441671965.png

Back