New Layout design-Looking for feedback

jwilliam33

I'm starting over with a 6x10 layout in a 6x10 room in our home. I'm planning a 3 deck design using an around the room/behind the backdrop, "helix" to go to the next level. There is one door and I plan to use removable tracks for the lower decks and a duckunder for the higher ones. Access to the hidden trackage will be by using magnet mounts for the backdrop, allowing for removal and access. The decks would be spaced at 32" 50" and 68". I'm 6'5" and believe I can enjoy the top level at eye level and, with a short stool, access it to work on scenery,etc.
I'm anxious for feedback and other ideas. Here are the plans.

Any thoughts?

Any feedback on my design? After tonight, the room will be gutted and ready to start moving forward. Thanks in advance.

It would be a lot of work, but reaching into the back of the corners would be difficult, even with one knee up on the bench work. You might consider rounding the corners to bring that background more forward. I'm doing this in my basement before starting the benchwork.

IMG_5232.png

Backdrop

It would be a lot of work, but reaching into the back of the corners would be difficult, even with one knee up on the bench work. You might consider rounding the corners to bring that background more forward. I'm doing this in my basement before starting the benchwork.

IMG_5232.png
You're right. I was planning on rounding the corners of the backdrop. In the diagram, the slashed line represents the backdrop and the solid line closest to the walls is the "helix" portion of the layout. I figured I'd also "fence" in the helix tracks with hardboard on either side of the track subroadbed so that any derailments would be contained. There aren't any turnouts in the helix portion so hopefully that would help minimize derailments.

heres a little thought i had for your helix which would be hidden from sight. For less than the price of a decent locomotive you could get an automotive backup camera with a 4.5" monitor kit. How cool would it be to be able to watch on a little monitor whats going on behind your backdrop while the trains go round the helix and you would know immediately of any derailments. Just a thought as i love little gizmos and gadgets.

jwilliam...

You need to draw the plan closer to actual scale. The sketches you've posted strongly suggest you will not fit all of the turnouts into the spaces provided. You drew them too short and sharp. Levels 1 and 3 look like you have two short yards started with three-way switches. In the SE corner of level 2, there is no way you will fit all of the turnouts in where you have them. I have not studied all of the turnouts on the entire layout, but I see enough problems in the areas mentioned to cause concern.

You are trying to fit alot into a 6 x 10 area, including a (hidden I think) no-lix (an around the room helix of sort). Scale drawings, or perhaps a computer software product designed for layout design, is a must for this project.

Generally, railroads are long and linear, not short and fat. The two small yards on levels 1 and 3 are too short to look right or operate well, since they will not hold many cars. No need to have them double ended if they are just (un)loading spurs.

Considering the compact space, you might want to start the turnouts on the curves, rather than trying to fit them all in on straightaways. Starting a turnout in a curve will make the sidings longer. Use a curved turnout. They're pricey, but sometimes irreplaceable.

An example: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/669-128

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to agree with Doughless. I think that is too much layout for that amount of space (speaking from experience with trying to do the same thing in 8'X12'). You might want to rethink this track plan and simplify it a little. Everybody always wants to get as much as they can from the space they have, but reality may set in as you start to build this one. There is something to be said for having room for more scenery. My 2 cents' worth...

I personally have started and restarted and restarted several layouts in small and medium spaces. I think you may be trying to put too much in too small of a space as well. I wish you luck, as I am also concidering starting over with something less ambitious (again).

Back