New Layout - Benchwork Started

Dougget

Hi,
Well, we moved to a new home about 2 years ago. Had to take down my 7x10 free standing doughnut layout (just benchwork and foam at the time). I'm now ready to get started at the new home.
The space is a little different, so the dimensions are going to be 6x12 with a 2'x5' "pit" in the middle. This layout is not free standing; I bolted it to the wall :D

Lesson learned from the last setup... drill holes for wire before screwing boards in place. Much easier using a drill press and don't need to worry about the drill not fitting in between the boards.

Anyway, here is the starting point. I did paint the sky using the same technique as my last attempt, but had much more sky (wall) to paint. I still need to do some better blending...

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 244
OK, for some details...

HO scale
DC power
It will be a double loop with cross-overs.
The mountain side will be simple with a tunnel or two.
If I can work in some elevation change, I might get some over/under in the mountains.
Town will be a couple of simple streets with various storefronts.
The train yard will have a small T.O.F.C. section.

My main short term goal is to get the benchwork done and get a layer of foam board on everything so that I can get all of my buildings out of boxes and start of position the main structures.
I have a track plan for my 7x10, but things are going to have to fit differently on this one.

The first picture is my new layout with the extensions that I can use for staging and industry. The second is my 7x10 layout with more details.
The town is going to change from the east side to the west side.
Train yard with the double crossover stays on the south side. Mountains to the north.

Doug

Attachments

• Layout.jpg
    Layout.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 563.jpg
    563.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 189
Foam Started

Bench work is done. Many holes drilled for future wire. Hope there are enough.
I still plan to build a shelf or two under the benchwork to store stuff, but don't want that in the way right now. I also have a space for a workbench area. Was planning to build one, but have been keeping my eyes open for a piece of counter top or a desk for sale on CraigsList. No rush for that part.

Well, I had two 4x8 sheets of 2" foam from my old layout that I was able to salvage. I'm using the pieces along with some left over 1" pieces from my father-in-laws roof insulation project. Should have plenty of foam for a 2" layer on everything plus a few mountains, hills, etc.

On the last layout I used only cheap latex caulk to secure the foam to the wood. Worked great. I know this because it was a pain to remove the foam when we moved. I happened to have some liquid nails (foamboard safe) in my basement, so I'm using a couple of tubes of that this time. Also need to buy a few more tubes of the latex stuff.

Slow progress, but it's moving along.
Doug

Attachments

• FoamCaulk.jpg
    FoamCaulk.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Foam01.jpg
    Foam01.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 176
  • Foam03.jpg
    Foam03.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 170
  • Foam02.jpg
    Foam02.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 340
Looks like you have a very good start Doug. Your layout plans look pretty good too and will be interesting to see this one come together.

I knew those weights in the basement were good for something. The bench makes a great laundry hanger.(haha) Looking good, keep the posts coming.

Added a workbench

The plan includes this 2' x 4' workbench area just below one of the staging areas. I plan to have a 3 track pivot on this ~10" x 4' extension. Below, a workbench with a couple of power outlets. Plenty of light from the 48" fixture above.
Oh, and I just notice my cardboard tunnel sitting on the pink foam. That is a piece of tube from a roll of carpet. I cut it as an experiment to use it as the inside of a tunnel. Haven't done anything with it yet, but plan to paint the inside black and use it as I begin to build a mountain :)
Doug
WorkBench.jpg

Are you planning to use all sectional track? Sometimes its more interesting if everything doesn't follow the edges of the layout. You could probably do this by adding a short section of curve track on the end of your curves. From an operating standpoint, moving your TOFC track to the track adjacent to the building, instead of on the 'turntable lead,' you may find offers more possibilities. Your yard tracks look like they will hold only a few cars each. With as much space as you have, I might consider trying to use 22-24" curves, instead of 18" radius curves. Equipment will run better and look better. Keep us up to date!

I like the workbench with tracks running above, great idea for working space! Do you have a plan (or idea) about where the controls will go? It looks like the layout is more stool height and the work area is chair height, so would you put the controls nearby? Or are you using DCC and that isn't a concern?
Just curious. I have to start planning that for my layout running DC, was curious what you're doing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The workbench idea is awesome! You should totally run a little side spur off one of the main lines that would drop down below the layout and come out at the work bench. That way you could just drive a train right into or out of it. :)

On the layout I had when we were living in Mobile, I had one spur that ran behind the layout , 3/4 of the way around the room, down to my workbench, where I could run any locomotive down for maintenance, adjustment, new paint, etc, and not have to worry about dropping one onto the tiled floor. It had to be installed pretty much before anything else, and since it was hidden, and really couldn't be seen, I used flex track on this since there was no reason to handlay this track, while the rest of the track on the layout was handlaid.

The reason for the length of the run was simple. There was a 24" drop from the yard level to the middle shelf of the workbench, above the main work shelf.

It was real neat, and I would love to have the same setup here but due to where the workbench is located, I can't do it.

Back