New layout and new to the hobby

jason412

Hello everyone,
I just want to tell everyone I am honored to be part of such an awesome community. Everyones layouts on here are so inspirational that this forum is actually the biggest reason as to my venture in model railroading. I come from a family with a long history of railroading as careers. Im actually the first one to break from that mold and went with engineering instead haha. Good news is I still have relatives I can talk with to get a lot of good information. A lot of them worked for the Grand Trunk down in southern Michigan and contemplating making GT my bigger focus. Problem is I like modern but dont really know much about CN who bought them I believe so I may just have to eventually try my hand at creating some modern locos with GT on them. Anyways, little about the room I have to work with and the scenario. I recently moved back to Michigan for a while to help renovate an old house that my family owns so I am quite handy with tools. In fact I drive my family nuts because Im a bit of a perfectionist when it comes even hanging drywall haha. So the house is 3,500 sq ft or so. It is divided up into 3 units which we will rent some day in the future. My unit which is on the top is about 1200 sq ft. Well I am single father and I dont really require much room. I have to finish gutting and remodeling my section of the house before I can start on the layout however so really in the planning stage. So I have designed 2 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, open concept kitchen/living/diving with a walk out terrace. Well funny thing is I eat downstairs with my family so theres really no need for me to have this huge kitchen I was planning. Instead Im going to just put my fridge, microwave, and small kitchen area in and leaves me with a good amount of space to do whatever I want with it. Best thing is I dont have to ask for permission!!
Next topic is i actually 20x20 atleast of space but I dont want to go that big for first layout. I like the idea but man I dont think Id get halfway before Id get frustrated being so new. So my first thoughts were like 10x10 or so. Well I went on mrr track database and found the red rock northern. I really liked it and it had both some operations and run around for my daughter to watch. So i thought maybe Ill do a 9x11 or so. Well I received the January issue of mrr and I think I found my overall idea of a trackplan. Its the Maine Central RR. I just think it offers so much more in operation, run around, and even some passenger potential with stations. Yes its larger 11x19 but it doesnt look so cramped and shoved together like the RRN. I am also envisioning another industrial area where the turntable is since from what I understand modern era the turntable is obsolete even though I do think they are awesome. So I think theres my compromise. Yes large layout still but I dont think its too overwhelming. Also I feel like if done smartly it could be built in a fashion that would allow for some deconstruction if I ever decided to move. Sorry if this turned into a novel Im just really excited about all this. Oh and it will be DCC I already bought Digitrax Super Chief 8a to operate it with.

I hope its ok if I link this if its not I really am sorry! Heres the mrr link of the Maine Central http://mrr.trains.com/How%20To/Track%20Plan%20Database/2012/11/Maine%20Central.aspx

Now I need to find some software to make the trackplan I believe thinking about trying the anytrack I think the name. Saw theres a good topic on it.
More to come :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like fun. :) My advice is to start small but leave room for expansion. I'm wrapping up a 1' by 4' N scale layout that I may add onto at some point. Especially when you're new, it's good to play around a bit first and get most of your screw-ups out of the way on something small.

Well I think I have settled on HO Peco 83 track and turnouts. It seems overall descent reviews. I was thinking about going Atlas 83 but from what i read no one has it due to something about a factory change in China. Although is there any track thats made in the US? I know it may cost a little more or may not being Peco seems a bit pricier but I think buying US when possible is a good thing. Peco is made in UK correct? Im also working on a trackplan on Anyrail that will be my version of the MCRR but I am not finished with it. If I counted correctly there are 37 turnouts everywhere except the area with the turntable and the southern industrial area. So gonna be a pretty penny for turnouts! I tore down the ceiling some more and more of the walls so as soon as I rewire the areas and drywall Ill post some pics of the area Ill have to work with.

The track is doubtful. I think it all comes from either China or Germany. As to the turnouts, just remember that less is sometimes more. That plan you liked to looks a little cluttered, so perhaps some paring down could be useful, depending on hwat you want. You can also build sections at a time and just lay the mainline the rest of the layout, and cut the turnouts in later.

And I like your idea of a modern-day GT. I grew-up within sight of a GT/CN grade crossing and often was able to run to the x-ing as soon as I heard the horn. A GT-decorated AC4400 would be cool. B)

Ok I greatly appreciate the advice. I will try to unclutter a bit and see how that looks once I get the main laid out on the program. I am working on the layout drawing as we speak so Im hoping to have atleast one done for tomorrow. I want to post atleast 2 and get some opinions from all you fine folks but have been having trouble finding time to sit down and get it done. Good thing the weekend is here! I also think no matter the layout I go with Im going to go with around a 30" radius so that from what I read it will look more natural then whipping around some tight turns. I was testing the floors for level tonight and they arent too bad but I think Ill build off the wall and make legs adjustable so that way I dont have to worry about floor sag or anything being an old house. I am thinking my industries will revolve around lumber/paper since Ive worked at both a large saw mill and paper mill so this may be more freelance than prototypical but still up in the air. Just all rough thoughts flying through my head rapidly haha. Ok back to anyrail!

Good choice on the track and switches. Pecos are good quality. Thats what I have on my layout.

I also use the Peco switch machines. They sit attached underneath the switch points. I dig a hole in the foam layer and drop them in. And you can't see them. I control them remotley with my NCE DCC system using the throttle.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with on your track plan.

Well I tried my best and I hope it can be made sense of. I tried just doing the mainline and the yard from Maine Central. I know its basically 3 giant loops but I really feel if I optimize the space I can have a lot of operational fun with all the potential industrial I could add. I tried my best to copy it! I feel like right now the continous loop will serve me well but as become more engulfed by this hobby it will give me the potential to also run point to point utilizing the hidden storage.

I also didnt draw in all of the tunnel portals because I didnt want to make it too confusing since some tracks are almost over top of another. I did leave 4" of vertical clearance at any give point so that the trains can pass easily under/over one another where needed. I also didnt exceed a 2.3% grade anywhere on the drawing. Most of them are under 2. Problem is there arent any buildings I could find in anyrails libraries that I wanted to use. I looked in walthers tab but was pretty generic.

Also real quick. The north side is the side I plan to mount against wall. The other 3 sides will be completely open around so I will have access to all those areas like the hidden staging so should help in case of derailment underneath there. I could also expand the eastern industrial zone inward like the western one if needed.

Anyways here it is exported into a .jpg file. Im a little nervous! I hope everyone likes it.

Mainecentral-1.jpg

Ahh nice! I like that plan. Very good for a first shot at it. You're already a pro at this.

A suggestion for ya. Do you want to be able to turn your trains around?

If so, and I know I like doing this. That peninsula on the left industrial area.
If you could extend that out a little more, maybe 2ft. You could have a wye there. Train pulls in through that peninsula, backs up on the wye, and back the opisite direction on the inside mainline. And still have room for an industry.

Looks like you have room for that. Just adjust those bridge/tunnel some.

Another suggestion. Do you like passenger operations? How about a passenger station on that top side there.

Jason, good to see you have a track plan posted already. From reading your posts, you have done your homework. Research is key.

As far as the lumber industry, and paper mill, i think you can not go wrong.

This cannot be your first go at a layout? If so your doing one heck of a job;)

The peninsula area on the left side, if you went bigger with this, it would be a good spot for a good sized industry like a paper mill

Btw- modern day is great, thats what i model as well

WHEN you do a track plan you also must consider how many people will operate it & the maintaince of a good size layout. alot of people start out with grand plans but when realize it is alot of work,the layout dies a premature death, not trying to shoot you down i just would rather you start manageable then as your skills get better you expand . I dont want you to burn out . welcome by the way

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions :) I am going to come up with a version 2.0 of the layout I posted and see if I can include the features you guys suggested. Also I think I am going to try and do a second version of this layout tomorrow which will be smaller than the current and weigh pros and cons like the ones Blackz28 has mentioned. I dont want to get in over my head either. I could also pick a part of the layout and try my hand and see how I do to determine how large or small I make it. As for operations as of now it will be just me. I sometimes try to envision the layout to see if its too cluttered but I just cant tell because theres alot of places where you lose visual contact with the train and would allow you to focus on scenery. I have thought maybe its too much but then I really look at it and compare to alot of other layouts and it doesnt seem too overbearing. Noob modeller questions I guess haha. Also one more thing Im trying to get the answer to..... With the Digitrax super chief 8a I saw some websites say its really too powerful for HO scale without short circuit protection. Are they referring to the short circuit protection that is built into the booster or a seperate circuit breaker? I plan on probably installing a seperate circuit breaker and also including I think its part number off the top of my head is #pm-42. If Im not mistaken I had a brief read about it and I believe thats the module that allows you to divide up your power source so its more manageable and create districts. Anyone have any experience with how good it works?

Well I actually waited to add the suggestions you guys gave me because I wanted to post a smaller version of the layout. This one is 10x15. I shaved a foot off the width and 4 off the length. The yard isnt as long but I dont know if I need a yard that long although the space cant hurt right? I dont know think I would regret giving up that 4 feet later on? I didnt smooth out the curves or grades I just threw flex track in there quickly just for an overall idea so if tracks dont look exactly right thats why.

smallermainecentral.jpg

I do not believe your design is very complex or over bearing as you worded it. Its good to have a layout you do not get bored with. In my opinion this layout design is a really good start.

You have done your homework, you know alot more then other people starting out, because you researched.

Lets see some pictures of the layout room please...

Do you have a photobucket account, im sure you know how to post pictures right?

As requested! More cleaned up now but this was in heart of demolition.
This one i have about 20x30 space.

2012-12-09_16-42-02_574.jpg

and way Ive gutted around some rooms it makes a giant T shape.
This room is about 15x20

2012-12-09_16-42-13_977.jpg

I could actually create quite the monster of a layout if I really wanted to I guess haha

Welcome to the forums!

The Maine Central track plan is an interesting one. Starting out smaller, I think is better, sometimes, particularly if this will be your first or second layout. As I recall, there used to be a whole lot of junctions near Detroit. If you're going to have a 'modern' GT or CN, is a roundhouse approrpriate? I think there is a trackplan towards the back of John Armstrong's 'Trackplanning for Realistic Operations,' that is a twice around that would fit in the space you're talking about. Seems to me, the auto industry and its suppliers, with a looping mainline, and lots of sidings might be interesting. Looks good so far! Keep us posted.

Lol, i see you have the finlander shovel in the background of that one picture. Your gonna need that for all the snow we get, more so you then me, since you live close to lake superior. That will come in handy for you!!! If you do not know how to use it, you will soon learn :):)

Yaa that shovel is monsterous. Ive been using it to shovel plaster down the stairs haha. Good news that big snow storm never showed up we only ended up receiving like 3 inches. I was very happy to wake up and not see a massive amount of snow that was predicted. I rerouted some electrical today in some other rooms and finishing up alot of the odds and ends so that it will be ready for drywall soon. It was kind of cool having plaster up here but the walls werent insulated at all and the ceiling wasnt either. So pretty drafty up here. Ill post some pictures tomorrow.

Welcome aboard Jason glad to have ya here.Just finished trolling after coming home from christmas shopping.Track layout is awesome you are doing great!!! Funny you want to model lower Michigan and I am trying Upper Michigan lol. I was born and raised in Detroit alot of industry down there so if I can help let me know ( moved to Arizona in 05 but still have alot of pics somewhere of the GT,NS,NW,CP,CN and my favorite DT&I . I know my boxes are still missing of the hump yard in Flat Rock lol. Anyway keep showing some pics and good luck !!!:)

Hello,
I am sorry to say I didnt get as far today as I would have liked on the reno so I dont really have any pictures that show a huge huge difference of those rooms. Its all still gutted. The electrical in the house is making my head spin as I just cant figure out why they would ever wire a house this way. Plus the aluminum wiring doesnt help any. But, I do have a picture of some goodies I received today and I am quite happy with what came!

2012-12-11_17-15-18_710.jpg

I apologize that the picture is on my bed but my living room is serving as all of my rooms combined at the moment.

What part of upper michigan are you trying to model Freighttrain? and I appreciate the comments

Back