New Indoor N Scale

Honestly, I didn't see Horseman's comment coming. I have always referred to Iron Horseman as simply Horseman but am happy that he likes the name none the less.

Naming the town, as I did, served 2 purposes. It seemed an appropriate name for a small railway town and was what I was going to call my iron ore mine on the shed layout, something that didn't happen. Transitioning the name to this layout seemed a logical thing to do.

Harking back to the difficulty you have of getting enough room between that crossover in the NNWest and the red track crossing the green in the NNEast for a reasonable grade, how about shifting that crossover to just below the RH entry to the main yard where both red and blue are on the same level. That way you can then start that NW grade back closer (about 6" north) of the bridge over the SW lake. The red track will by necessity be a high line all the way past the branch tracks (SE) and over the green before it can start it's down grade towards the main yard again. I can't see anywhere that you have provided a return crossover so that the train that has come off the red can return to the red i.e. without a lot of manouvering. It can't get off the green easily. How about, at that red and blue track's proximity, either a double crossover, or opposite direction crossovers one after the other at that spot.

By eliminating the crossover in the NNW, the height you should be able to gain, with the longer, lesser grade, may enable you , if you wish, to raise the green track instead of dipping it under the red.

Toot'n,

Getting the train from the red line onto the green line back again did give me issues, if that is what you are referring to that is, as well as the grade from the N/W across the top of the center lake and over the tunnel. I probably should have posted this updated and modified track plan:

TONYCANNON-PC-2016-aug-24-002_zpsfgulypk0.png

How does that look and does it answer your concerns?

I would still like to put in another red to green, green to red track cross over but it looks as though the only places that can happen is on a curve and I can't make that work. None of the combinations, using curved turnouts, want to match up.

Also, my problem with the grade was partially my fault - I was working on a 2 1/2" clearance (for tunnels/bridges) which is at least 1/2" higher than is needed. Once I corrected that, the grade dropped from 2.3/4% back to 2.0/1% which is reasonable and negotiable I think.

The idea of having double cross overs is perfect except Peco (and no one else that I have found) makes a Code 80 N scale :( Peco has a Code 55 though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where you've put the opposing single crossovers at the station platform is good as it's where you have the most straight parallel track on the layout. Maybe move them as far apart as you can to have as much track between them, but that can be determined when the track gets laid. With them, you can now run trains all over the whole layout, swapping tracks, or even, since you're using DCC, in opposite directions to keep you on your toes. (isn't it great not having to control your trains by voltage polarity). Are you planning on having a township in the NW corner, served by that station?

Toot'n,

Thanks mate and yes, there will be a "small town" in the NW area with the "main town" filling the area between the Southern yard and the main line to the North and being linked to the smaller town by road as well as rail. There will be (probably) a small "Industrial Park" in the S/E corner - maybe.

At the moment I want to run two freight trains in opposite directions on the same line (obviously) hence the passing sidings. Have also factored that possibility for the passenger line as well, but we'll see. Destroying a freight train is one thing, destroying a passenger is another :)

gator,

Thanks and glad to be able to give someone a laugh. I only see the funny side of that comment now that I have read it again, I probably should have added "train" to "passenger" though, but it may not have been as funny :rolleyes:

Damn Tony,

Photoracket, sure made it impossible to see the pictures. Must say those crooks have screwed over loads of good people and information around the web.

Some history, this is actually the second or third time they held others photos hostage, and that number could be higher. I used the service at least 20 years ago. They changed the software, that scrambled the picture albums, forcing the subscribers to rebuild them.

Jumping forward say a year, here they come again.The lock down was the first time they wanted cash, paying customers. Now I do not mind if some business wants to charge for a service..

But if the service is to store and not steal someones property. If the owner no longer wants to pay for the storage. I believe they, photoracket needs to have away to allow the folks to get what's stored returned. Just like any other storage people may have items placed in... think pods.

Some enterprising individual should figure out a method to make them. Make these forums and the individual's intellectual properties (photos) that has been posted/published.

Then going forward charge whatever and if people want to pay for use of the service fine.

Really irritating I can tell ya that .....

greg

Greg,

Technically, everything that you or I or anyone posts is deemed intellectual property. The problem lies within the "policies" of these forums and third party hosting sites. If you look into, and who ever does, you'll no doubt discover some clandestine entry giving the forum or hosting company rights over those posts or pictures.

What needs to be done is for those entries to be deemed illegal and removed from business/company policies. Policies are designed to protect the business/company and ONLY the business; however, they are not law. As such, legislation should be adopted to "force" business' to construct policies within the framework of the relevant laws pertaining to their business, marketing and so forth. Problem with that is, if it were to be adopted - 90% of commercials would disappear from TV and all other places.

Back