New HO Switching Layout

Made a fair amount of progress today.

Managed to complete ballasting of the loading area for the team track and temporarily place my backdrop up for a photo op. I'm very happy with how its come out so far.

Yard with the backdrop up:
erhqiw.jpg

Looking south across the yard:
33ehm3p.jpg

R

Spent an hour tonight mocking up the redesigned Canpotex Facility - I'm happier with the overall dimensions now. Its hard to tell from the cell phone snap - but the angles on the roof are correct!

Will trim and sand the edges tomorrow for a quick paint. Learned a lesson with the last foam board building I did - you MUST paint both the inside and outside as the paint pulls the material hard and can warp if not applied evenly.

R

White Foam Board Maintenance Facility, ver 2.0 with better proportions:
2dvr1xj.jpg

Spent an hour working on the railcar facility again tonight.

Sourced a more accurate shade of Liquitex for the colour, and painted both inside and out. Also cut the roof panels but the walls need to be sanded first before I can adhere them. I've attached a mockup photo which I'm really happy with. I reduced the whole building height by 1.5" and it brought it much more in line with scale.

I'll post another update soon.

R

Facility painted without logo or silver striping:
dzz1c5.jpg

The prototype again for reference:
kdpu0o.jpg

View from ground level southeast across the yard:
hsst9y.jpg

Got some of the basic elements completed on the facility tonight.

Mainly the silver stripe (first coat) and the Canpotex logo:
2n7qi43.jpg

I also ballasted right up to the doors, although its not complete - its close!

R

Made some progress tonight - working on the front edge of the layout.

I'm slowly modelling a dirt access road that runs parallel to the main. Its not as obvious in the prototype pictures but its definitely there. I plan to populate it with a couple MOW vehicles and maybe some employees of the yard watching the action.

No progress on the Canpotex facility but I'm really happy with it at this point. I'll eventually upgrade it but for now it does the trick!

Access Road:
5bb2h3.jpg

GMD-1 1056 shifts some clean potash cars from the maintenance facility:
2drig6a.jpg

1056 assembles westbound 622 towards Winnipeg:
1i09bn.jpg

Team Track Loading area taking shape:
2cmsuvt.jpg

I'll post another update with pics this weekend.
R

Some nice progress. May I make a suggestion, add not bushes so much but fine weeds in between the fresh looking ballast.

Great looking layout. There's nothing wrong with a switching layout. My layout room is about 24 x 17 and my choice was a switching layout. I do have a few towns on the layout, but each town had a switching problem built into it. Well done.

Working on fences today... Bought a Walthers kit. I'm reasonably content with the product but the mesh is extremely finicky.

My solution to keeping the wires straight:
1zmiihy.jpg

Are you drilling out the fence posts or just gluing the posts to the horizontal support wires?
Several people including myself use solid brass wire for the upper and lower horizontal wires. If you drill out the plastic Walthers vertical fence posts, slide them down to the correct location and secure with CA adhesive, there should be no need for so much tape. Not sure what comes with the kit but I have used K&S brass which is very straight and wedding tulle for the mesh.

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool layout. You're getting a lot of little details into which make it seem very alive.
Who makes the GMD1 switcher you've got? I haven't seen a model of that made before

Are you drilling out the fence posts or just gluing the posts to the horizontal support wires?
Several people including myself use solid brass wire for the upper and lower horizontal wires. If you drill out the plastic Walthers vertical fence posts, slide them down to the correct location and secure with CA adhesive, there should be no need for so much tape. Not sure what comes with the kit but I have used K&S brass which is very straight and wedding tulle for the mesh.

Larry

Larry,

These fences have been nothing but a pain in the butt. I'm surprised I couldnt find a metal version pre assembled - I would have happily used that. The wires are the biggest disappointment. They don't stay straight no matter what I do. So your advice is well received!

Where do you get the brass wire? Would my LHS carry it? And what size are you using to make it scale?
Also, what is 'wedding tulle'?

Thanks!
Ryan

Cool layout. You're getting a lot of little details into which make it seem very alive.
Who makes the GMD1 switcher you've got? I haven't seen a model of that made before

A2T,

Its a Rapido Trains GMD-1. They're based in Toronto, and make a great product. I wish I could have bought two but they are not cheap. I understand they are available through the US as well?

R

A2T,

Its a Rapido Trains GMD-1. They're based in Toronto, and make a great product. I wish I could have bought two but they are not cheap. I understand they are available through the US as well?

R

Thanks for the info. I have not seen them offered here in the states. It's a sharp looking model

Rapido went to the effort to make 4 different variations of the GMD-1. Mine is the first run 6 axle freight version without steam generator for passenger service. They were produced in 1958-60. I believe only 70ish were made of this particular configuration. As I understand it, the 6 axle GMD-1 was designed with light rail branch lines in mind... more even weight distribution. Rapido also makes the 4 axle version.

Overall a highly recommended product.

R

A few people I follow on Flickr have been posting shots of these online. So it's super cool to see a model of one. It's not an engine Im familiar with so I appreciate the info! This is something I would buy even though I have no use for it but because it's a cool engine.

The SRY ones (4 x 4 axle, #'s 1202-1205) would be a nice addition, even if they don't actually run on MRL, but then neither does my SRY MP15DC either, but I won't tell (ah, I just did). Hopefully in some future Rapido release.

Should be interesting how the fence turns out. Generally I will purchase a fence or whatever and once I see how its made and the material used I will go looking for the material for future use, for instance I think the mesh is similar to a fabric used for bridle veils.

Back