New guy with new layout

lappdawg27

Mr newb
Hey all,
I have been an avid railfan since about 1996 but I have owned a train set since 1991. For the most part, everything has been stored (except for the first 2 or so years 91-93). About 8 years ago I started a large HO layout in my parents garage, but that ended up getting nixed (too much too soon). Anyways, using some leftovers from that debacle I made a 4x8 layout using a track plan that I found in Model Railroader. I used Atlas turnouts and code 100 flextrack. My track laying went great (first time soldering too!!) and I had an Atlas DCC system hooked up as well. Unfortunately, I had to take it down about 5 years ago and store it on its side. I just bought a house and finally had space to set it up again. I redid the switch machine wiring using Atlas DCC Turnout controllers and I also added a handheld throttle. Yesterday I had a train running around again! I have about three switch machines that need adjusted but other than that everything is perfect. Now comes the ballasting...

Anyways, I am going to try and post some pics as the work progresses. The track plan is on my website at http://www.trainweb.org/railvids/modelrailroad.htm
Also, if you have the December 1994 Model Railroader it is published in there.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Looks like you're right down the road. Your user name looks familiar too...do you use it on other sites?

Have to agree with Josh on that one! Thats a great plan for a 4x8 sheet...Lots of operation there.

Welcome Lapdawg, your start into MR sounds alot like mine, lots of failed starts and rebuilds.

Great track plan looking forward to some pics.

Ken.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Looks like you're right down the road. Your user name looks familiar too...do you use it on other sites?

Yeah, I use this username on RailroadForums.com, Yahoo Groups, and Youtube. Plus, there are probably others I am forgetting. I live near MP 77.7 on the Columbia Secondary, if that helps you figure out where I'm at.

Here comes the photos

Alrighty here comes the first set of photos. Please note that the lighting above the layout is almost totally burnt out. I only have a small work light right now, so that's why the photos stink (plus I am not good at indoor photos) and there are huge shadows everywhere.

1. The overall picture. The train is being used to test all off my trackwork and swtiches. The loco is an Atlas Master B40-8 (factory DCC equipped). The freight cars are the only ones I have installed Kadee couplers on.
2. The industrial spur...yes there was some ballasting done, however it was done before being stored years ago. I didn't do a really good job, the loose ballast laying around was actually filed off a few days ago. It is going to be totally redone.
3. Yard trackage
4. Sorry it's blurry, but this is a closeup of the all-flextrack curves on the one side.

Here's set 2

1. The "front" edge of the layout. The wood plugs are installed in holes that used to house SPDT momentary toggle switches that controlled the turnouts. Once Atlas released their DCC turnout controllers, I removed them. Again, note the poor ballast job...
2. This photo shows an Atlas DCC turnout controller installed under the layout. I have 12 turnouts on the layout, so there are 2 of these under the layout (each one controls 6 turnouts). The power-pack came from a Walthers trainset and is used to power only the turnouts. I used Cat5e cable to hook-up the twin-coil switch machines to the turnout controllers.

Well that's it for now. The next few steps are going to be leveling of the table. It was perfect a few years ago but for some reason when I reattached the legs (using the same screw holes mind you) the thing is way off. I also need to putty and sand the plugs along the fascia as well as build a little control stand for the Atlas DCC Commander

Lookn good, I use Lenz DCC, which is all the same as your Atlas system just a different colour. It's really good technology and easy to use.

Ken.

Back