New Guy from Tennessee

adurbin

Hello all. Just came across the forum while doing a google search. My wife and I are getting ready to build an HO scale appalachian coal layout. Looking forward to becoming a part of the forum.

Welcome aboard from down the road in the Heart of Dixie. :) Sounds like it should be an interesting layout. How big will it be? As always, we want pictures!

Welcome aboard from down the road in the Heart of Dixie. :) Sounds like it should be an interesting layout. How big will it be? As always, we want pictures!

Its gonna be 4x8, and then eventually will have a staging yard running along the wall for another 5 or so feet. Thanks for the Welcomes all. Now the big question, CSX or Norfolk Southern? As far as pics, I plan to do a whole picture timeline, including the contruction of the table, which I am building from scratch. I will probably be started on that next week.

Cool, I wish I had done a timeline picture of constructing my layout. Do you have a first name we can call you? I helps rather than trying to remember screen names. a 4x8 layout doesn't give you a lot of room for a coal layout. Have you thorught about, or do you have the room, to run an around the wall layout? You'll get a lot more trackage and scenery and not have a big piece of plywood taking up your room. As for CSX or NS, picking either one will get me in trouble with someone here, so go with the one you like the best.

Cool, I wish I had done a timeline picture of constructing my layout. Do you have a first name we can call you? I helps rather than trying to remember screen names. a 4x8 layout doesn't give you a lot of room for a coal layout. Have you thorught about, or do you have the room, to run an around the wall layout? You'll get a lot more trackage and scenery and not have a big piece of plywood taking up your room. As for CSX or NS, picking either one will get me in trouble with someone here, so go with the one you like the best.

Thanks for the reply. My name is Aaron. My screen name is my first initial and last name. I will put it in my signature. As far as doing an around the wall layout, I definitely dont have the room for that, the area that I have to use has two french doors, and then a closet on the other wall...plus, I have to put a budget into mind as well, and an around the wall set up will put me way over.

Hey Aaron, and welcome. I used to work in Tennessee: Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville. There is no prettier place than your state. My wife and I still go to Gatlinburg to unwind.
Anyway, you can do a lot of railroading in 32 square feet, mine is currently a 12 X 2 with a 4 foot L, and its a lot of time consuming fun.
You will like it here.
BM

Welcome to the forum Aaron! I'm from Maryland, but I drive thru your state whenever my family goes to visit my wife's sister in Alabama. Knoxville and Chattanooga are the two major cities along the route.

Hey Aaron, and welcome. I used to work in Tennessee: Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville. There is no prettier place than your state. My wife and I still go to Gatlinburg to unwind.
Anyway, you can do a lot of railroading in 32 square feet, mine is currently a 12 X 2 with a 4 foot L, and its a lot of time consuming fun.
You will like it here.
BM

Welcome to the forum Aaron! I'm from Maryland, but I drive thru your state whenever my family goes to visit my wife's sister in Alabama. Knoxville and Chattanooga are the two major cities along the route.

Im in Johnson City, about two hours northeast of knoxville. Im originally from Maryland..but I love it here. I love the mountains, and being in the woods.

Hey Aaron, welcome to the forum! There really is a bunch of great people around here.

I'm up here in Ohio, hey, stop by the coffee shop sometime...:D

Tri cities are beautiful. You are fortunate. Sneak off to Bristol Tn/Va. A great railroad heritage there.

Hi Aaron, I am Ron, I live in Chattanooga. Although I am doing an N scale layout I had the same question as you. CSX or Norfolk Southern? Well I answered my own question when I went down to the yards in downtown Chattanooga yesterday to get some pictures for inspiration and.....well.....I am attaching the pic that made up my mind for me. I already picked up three CSX locos so I will incorporate another question in this. How hard is it to change the color scheme of a loco? In N scale? Welcome to the Forum and as everyone else has already said, this is a great site and these are a great bunch of folks! They will attempt to answer any questions you may have!

Aaron, wecome to the forum. Lots of good help and ideas here. I have relatives in Tennessee where my dad was raised (McMinnville). TN is a beautiful state. I hope you didn't get snowed again like we we did here in Iowa. Good luck to you and the Mrs. on the layout. Merry Christmas.

Thanks for the replies. Merry Christmas to you all as well. My layout is coming along. Especially now that I got all the flextrack and switches to complete the trackwork. I will post pics soon.

Shew, I have been working on the layout and such when I have the chance, but havent had the chance to get pics yet. I may work on that tommorrow night.

Back