New freight engine from Rapido trains

TrueLine Trains already has the RS18u on their list.

TLT and Rapido are literally next door to each, other; they're not going to compete on that.

I know but TLT announced the RS18u 2-3 years ago and it seems to be dead in the water. I was hoping Jason was going to take the project over.

I know but TLT announced the RS18u 2-3 years ago and it seems to be dead in the water. I was hoping Jason was going to take the project over.

I think Jason has enough on his plate right now.:D I am not a big fan of his none refundable deposit/finance my interest free business loan business model. Rapido really does need to start getting some of this stuff to market. Just my two cents on the topic. I can only imagine what he is going to charge for one of these these "things".:eek:

This ^^^^^ is ugly, sorry guys from the north of us.

And based on Rapido's business practices, they will probably ask you for a non-refundable deposit. AKA The Canadian

What business practices are you referring to, apart from the deposit on The Canadian? Have we done something nefarious?

The deposit on The Canadian was not non-refundable. Maybe you think we're a massive offshore company out to scam all and sundry, but we're just three guys who love trains. Without the deposits for The Canadian we would not have been able to make it. A big MR company with 75 years experience can get access to large amounts of capital for a big project. We can't.

We will not be taking deposits for any other projects, simply because we have no plans to do something as big as The Canadian again. I mean, there isn't much bigger in Canada than The Canadian.

We've had trouble getting stuff out of China on time, and we're working to fix that. The GMD-1 is being tooled with a new supplier.

But the LRC locomotive mentioned in this thread is not a victim of the delays in China - it has been ready since 2009. We've just put it on hold in the hopes that people will actually order the darn thing. We've now accepted we're going to lose money on the project and we'll be making it after The Canadian and FP9A.

So if nobody orders the GMD-1, it will also be delayed. We can't afford to have the factory work solely on projects that lose money when we have other projects on the go that are profitable. And I am using the term "can't afford" in the literal sense. If you want to be our sugar daddy, we'll happily make unprofitable projects! :)

That being said, please keep in mind:

a) We think a lot more people want a GMD-1 than an LRC, so we're not too worried about a lack of orders.

b) like the LRC, we are tooling the GMD-1 in advance of taking orders, so we are committed to making it even if only 12 people order it.

Best regards,

Jason

I think Jason has enough on his plate right now.:D I am not a big fan of his none refundable deposit/finance my interest free business loan business model. Rapido really does need to start getting some of this stuff to market. Just my two cents on the topic. I can only imagine what he is going to charge for one of these these "things".:eek:

Jason,

Why didn't you respond to NWCanucks comments, and only mine.

Thank you for replying to this thread Jason. Although I have yet to own a Rapido engine the GMD-1 is definetly on my wish list
I understand that you can not make products that will not sell but in my small club of modellers (10) alone you probably have at least 5 sales here.
We think a lot more people want a GMD-1 than an LRC, so we're not too worried about a lack of orders.
I can agree with you there. The LRC was (and is) a localized passenger train that has limited appeal outside of it's area. On the other hand the GMD-1 is a freight (and passenger if you are making the steam gen version) that was run all over Canada from my understanding, not just the pairies. I've been wanting one for awhile and have been collecting parts to kitbash my own.

We will not be taking deposits for any other projects, simply because we have no plans to do something as big as The Canadian again. I mean, there isn't much bigger in Canada than The Canadian.
I can also understand the deposit on the Canadian. It gives you an idea of how many sets to make and semi-commits thoses who want it.

Jason, for what it's worth, I have a huge amount of respect for your operation. You got The Canadian out, and it was fabulous, and I don't think anyone who actually put down the deposit has anything to complain about.
You said that The Canadian was your biggest project and that you probably won't do anything that big again...does that mean us N-scalers are out of luck?
At least give us some more postwar lightweights in CP!

I think Rapido is doing a great job. They are producing high quality Canadian models that I never thought I would ever see modelled in anything besides brass. I have no problem putting $25 down to reserve an engine. I was hoping for a CN SW1200RS, but hey, the GMD1 is pretty close and I'll be buying a couple of them.

Count me in too. The GMD-1 is the diamond most Canadian modellers have been seeking for years.

Hey Rico, I agree with your eye on ugly also.... BL2, sharknose... ewww yuck!! LOL

Jason, I look forward to this project coming to fruition. This is the icing on the cake for a long time prairie branchline modeller.

Lord knows I love ugly, if not homely diesels, and this one fills the bill. Luckily enough, my railroad is a regional shortline using all kinds of cast-off engines, including BL-2s.

I will have to keep my eye out for these when available, since I live over 150 miles from the closest hobby shop, so for everything that I need I have to use a variety of mail order houses. To show you how out of the loop I am, just this fall I learned of the MP and KCS passenger cars from Rapido. But I was able to find everything that I needed (read wanted). Sadly no Frisco stuff. Oh well.

As others have stated, I love those A-1-A trucks!

Thanks to Jason and Rapido for bring out quality products.

Back