New database with free layouts and track plans online

Mixy

Author of SCARM
Hello all :)

A new website was launched this week, intended to collect and show model train track plans and layouts in all scales and sizes, build with SCARM software. Here is it:

SCARM – Model Train Layouts & Track Plans

Most of the content in the site is created by SCARM users and sent by e-mail. Some of the layouts are already presented in SCARM blog, but there are new projects and more will come soon. At the moment, I am editing and uploading all stuff, but in the near future I plan to add support for user registrations, so everybody to be able to create an account and to upload projects in the site.

Everybody can browse the projects in the site or to search and filter the track plans by several criteria, such as “scale”, “size”, “trackage” and so on. I.e. the following link will show all railroad layouts and track plans in HO gauge, listed in the site for now. Every project has its own page, where it is presented with more pictures, described with many parameters (such as minimum radius, maximum grade, suitable traffic, etc.) and sometimes explained by me or by its author. All (or almost all) published layouts will have corresponding SCARM files ready to be downloaded from the links at bottom in the layout’s page. There is also an option for each project to be rated with rating stars from 1 to 5 – this is located below the description. Voting system works without registration, but is limited by only one vote per project from a visitor in order to make ratings relevant and correct.

The site is also optimized for smartphones and tables, so you can browse it almost anywhere and anytime. However, some pictures may not look very detailed on small phone screens, but in overall you can get a good impression even from 320×480 sized cell phones.

At the moment, there is no option for commenting below the layouts, but such feature may appear in the future. The site is now in beta state and needs to be used for some period in real environment to see how it performs, is it easy and useful, etc. So please, try it and comment here what do you think about it.

And if you have some cool SCARM layout or track plan that you want to share with others, just send your .scarm project file to me at
mail.gif
with a couple of lines, explaining your idea.

Hope you will like the site and will get many other ideas from it even if you don’t use SCARM :)

Mixy
Author of SCARM

This is pretty cool! I downloaded the program too to see if I can figure out how to design a decent layout. LOTS of features in the program, particularly for a newbie like me. If nothing else, though, I plan to keep an eye on the plans others post in hopes that at some point someone will post a plan similar to what I have in mind. Thanks!

Jeff

December update

The track plans and layouts in the database are growing - now there are more than 40 projects of all scales and sizes. Here are the most searched categories so far:

HO scale track plans (all sizes)
N gauge track plans (all sizes)
Small railraod layouts & track plans (all gauges)

Most recent, top-rated plan in HO: Compact Railroad Layout in HO scale

Small_SCARM_layout_in_H0_2D_plan-460.jpg

Most recent, top-rated plan in N: Ikea IVAR Shelftop Railway Layout in N Scale

ikea-ivar-shelftop-scarm-model-railroad-layout-N-scale-460.jpg

I hope that everybody will find something interesting and inspiring there :)

Mixy

Did you know, that...

...you can search in the database by track plans, virtual layouts and real operational layouts.

A track plan keyword means only a track route without any other elements or objects on the plot, which allows you to finish it by your choice with adding of scenery objects like roads, buildings, industries, etc. See here all model railroad track plans in the database.

A virtual layout keyword is used to describe a partial or complete layout design which includes all or almost all objects needed for realistic look and operations. See here all model railway layouts in the database.

A true operational layout keyword is used to mark all projects in the database that are already build in the reality, based on initial track plans and designs, created in SCARM. See these real model train layouts with the initial designs and the real pictures together.

Hope that this will help you to find the right track plan or layout, just for you :)

Mixy

See the last added N-scale project in the site, which is also a Featured layout for May:

The Train Layout Room of John in N Scale

Johns-Layout-Room-in-N-Scale-1-460.jpg

Johns-Layout-Room-in-N-Scale-2-460.jpg

The layout is designed with many details, including the rolling stock and even the furniture in the room. More pictures,description and the track plan of this project can be seen in the link above :)

Mixy

Hello Mixy,
I was wondering, and wanted to ask you, with your knowledge of working with database/s to create your fantastic program for track design is it possible you could create a pick-up & delivery program for us to use to operate our layouts more realistically? I know this can get to be quite complex but possibly you could design a data base frame-work, so to speak and let each of us create whatever complexity we wanted by making it easily editable to our desired liking.

I'm not all that familiar with the proper terminology but figured your so familiar with working with databases it shouldn't be too much of a task?

I hope I'm not asking for something that is too involved or creates any difficulty with others doing something similar?

Sincerely,

David Smith
Ps: I downloaded another database to attempt to create my own Pick-up and delivery schedule but need to become familiar with working with databases and the variables to know what I'm doing although my plan for this somewhat simple and don't tend to get too complex in variables etc. Hope I've kind of given you an idea of what I'm thinking about?

Hello David,

This database is just online resource for storing and searching of SCARM projects and track plans of various sizes, scales, etc.

If I understand correctly, you are asking for a program where the user may enter the train stations on the layout and items that are received and shipped there (i.e. passengers, goods, coal, grain, etc.) and then with the available trains in the database, program to be able to show some realistic schedule for the operations from station to station for each train - is this what you mean? If so, I think that there are some programs for FREMO meetings that are already available and they are able to generate such traffic information and schedule. I will check this in our local railway modelling clubs.

However, if you mean something different, tell me more about it.

Mixy

Hi Mixy,
Thanks for your reply.

I believe your thinking is generally correct?

I'm thinking more of an individual being able to set up shipping and delivery schedules between manufacturers they have onn their layout or may ad and warehouses or to an actual business that would sell the product/s.

This of course would require the placement of an empty car, of whatever suitable type, at the manufacturer, stock yard, etc where it would be loaded and picked-up either later that day or a day ortwo later to be delivered to 1 or 2 other locations such as above where the items would either stored or sold.

I'm also of thinking of a relational database where variables could be set-up to vary the pick-up of products and the delivery of them as well as the varying of the delivery of empties from whatever location they had been spotted at to even a different location to ad even more interest to operation. I'm assuming this probably what actually happens on real RR's.

So basically I'm asking if it would be a hard job to set up such a database?

I'm just now starting to learn about using a database so much of the workings are new to me. I'll have to take a look at the FREMO clubs and see if they have something like that available?

Thanks again,

David

I researched the matter about the realistic operations and timetables and concluded that it can be really deep and complex.

I was on a local model train meeting with FREMO route in TT scale (1/120) approx 50 meters in length, with several train stations and one industrial branch and was a chief in one of the stations. The timetable with all registered trains were created with online JAVA-based freeware tool, called Graficon v. 0.13. You can run it from here: http://code.google.com/p/grafikon/ - use Grafikon Web Start (version 0.13) link. You will need JAVA JRE to be installed on your computer and to enable the Grafikon site in JAVA Security exclusions (otherwise it will be blocked as a self-signed app).

grafikon.png

And one timetable example with 45 trains - list of trains and engineers driver cards: http://jub.parostroj.net/grafikon/timetable.html

This is really powerful, but also very complex, as you need to define the nodes (stations, with track count and lengths, use Net tab), links between them (with line lengths, again in Net tab), the rolling stock (all engines and coaches), the trains and all running and shunting operations. Unfortunately, the detailed documentation is in Czech and I cannot help with that, but take a look and try it.

At the moment, I am not able to make such application, nor such extension to SCARM.

Mixy

Back