New Control Panel Started

NYC_George

So after my bridge projects got done and new switches and switch control motors were added it was time to add toggle switches. That meant getting under the layout sitting on the floor and added them to my control panel. Then I thought there's more switches coming in the future so maybe I should design a new control panel where I can sit in a chair and add everything as needed. The below photos are the start of this new project. I also decided to make everything color coded so I can better identify which switch controls what turnout. I ordered 2 packs of 10 color wire to get this done. The new panel will have a mini layout scheme.
George

Control_Panel_01.jpg

Control_Panel_02.jpg

Keep in mind that you will probably have to work on the panel from time to time, so make it easy to access all sides of it.

Thanks Ken

The front will open that's where all the connections will be located. The top where all the switches are flips up.
George

Thanks James and Patrick. Some more progress on my control new panel, I created a template to give me a better understanding on how the switch layout will look when completed. It's only an idea for now. I ordered some 1/4 inch masking tape to create the track plan. It will show the none painted track plan on white styrene. The hinges are only and idea for now. I may or may not use them on the front door which will open.

George

Control_Panel_03.jpg

More progress on my new control panel. All the switches are connected to the panel now. I just need to drill some holes and install the DTDP switches and finish painting everything. All the turnout indicator lights are already at the switch positions around the layout.
George

Last edited:
More progress on my new control panel. All the switches are connected to the panel now. I just need to drill some holes and install the DTDP switches and finish painting everything. All the turnout indicator lights are already at the switch positions around the layout.
George

Nice job on the panel's track plan! Those indicator lights will be handy when operating and at a glance you can see the turnout(s) positions.

Greg

Nice job on the panel's track plan! Those indicator lights will be handy when operating and at a glance you can see the turnout(s) positions.

Greg

Thanks Greg but I did an about face today. I thought it wasn't detailed enough so I scraped it. Here's the new format.
I'll try to install it tonight.
George

control_panel_track_plan_912.jpg

So I finished up the control panel today. I had some left over PCV trim from my window replacement installation that came in handy.
The indicator lights are at the turnout positions but if the toggle is up, the route is straight, if diverging the toggle is down. Everything is color coded so if I have to back in there I'll know what wires control what turnouts. The top & front cover can be removed by taking out the 2 screws that hold them in place.
George

control_panel_01_03_03_21.jpg
contol_panel_02_03_03_21.jpg
control_panel_03_03_03_21.jpg

Back