New camera for Christmas

Cjcrescent

Master Mechanic
Got a new digital camera for Christmas, and I took it down to Norris Yard/Irondale here to try it out. Man I do like this camera. Its got 3x's the megapixels as my old one. Here's some of the shots I took in less than an hour.

Meant to add, the BNSF engine was moving at about 40mph. This one is on the bypass track to the yard and was a pure container train. They, the "car" trains, and coal unit trains, generally bypass the yard and come through here as fast as they can.

Oh, forgot. Nikon 4600 coolpix 4.6 mp, auto focus, macro, 3x optical zoom with additional 4x digital zoom, with a 512MB memory card. Also has video capabilities, scene setups, special effects, (don't ask what they are, hadn't read up on those). At the highest resolution, I can still shoot over 200 shots. Lowest resolution, about 600.

Still gotta lot to learn about it.

Nice shots Carey! I have a Canon A95 point and clicker ;) and it's amazing what a guy can get in the way of quality shots. Tip, on the layout, turn off the flash, you will be suprised at the quality o the picture. I did use a flash once on a railfan shot of a UP engine, was rather interesting :)

David;

I took some shots on Rex's layout with my old camera and yeah, I agree the shots without the flash can often be better than with.

I always have had a habit of erasing all my pix's off the camera after downloading. I just checked it and at highest resolution, 270 pixs. Lowest resolution 999pix. Be surprised what a big chunk of memory can do for you.

I've always liked the Coolpix line, I've had two of them. Canons Powershot series are good also. The video feature on your camera is a nice little thing, I've taken several 'short' (one minute, I think) videos with mine. It's nice to have when you don't have a regular video camera at hand.
Jarrell

Congrats on the coolpix CJ! Ant that larger memory card is a must when you're planning to spend lots of time in the great outdoors...

I think memory cards are like engines on a layout, you can never have too many.

I guess with all these pixs, memory cards, auto this and that my Argus 35mm better keep hidden in the closet. Just kidding, but I do have the Argus.

I'd suggest forgetting about the digital zoom feature on any digtal camera. All it does is cut out the center of the largest image. You can do the same on your computer afterwards.

Also forget about using the cameras at anything but the largest resolution. Save space, yes, but at a lower quality. It's like using a 5 MP camer at 2 or 3 MP - don't waste the resolution! If you get a great photo at the lower resolution you may not be able to do much with it. You can make a large image smaller, but cannot make a small image larger - talking about quality here.

I also picked myself up a Christmas present of my own last Saturday, yet another digital too! While I have my Canon Digital Rebels (300 & 350) for my "serious" photography, I do like to have a carry around smaller one. I have a Canon Digital Elph S500 that I've been using for over a year, and it works pretty good, with 5MP. But the teeny LCD screen (1-1/2") was becoming a pain. Not just for reviewing the images, but seeing the icons on the screen - for close-ups, flash or no flash, red eye reduction, etc. required me to put on my reading glasses. Slowed things down at times.

So I looked around and for the first time in 40 years bought something other than a Canon - I picked a Pentax Optio S60 point and shoot model. It has a huge 2-1/2" LCD screen (whee!), 3X zoom, 6MP and operates on standard AA batteries. It's the same size as my Canon S500, but being newer has many more features. So many new ones to learn!

Shoot lots with your digital - no film costs!

Nikon? Wow! CJ, that is a huge improvement over your old camera. I can even see Jed up in the NS cab. I know it goes against the grain of us men, but read the book my friend...read the book. :confused: :D

What do you guys think of a Lumix ( panasonic ) FZ10, 4 meg 12x Optical 36x digital? We love it, a little bulky but very robust.

Sorry to steal your post CJ just thought I'd ask.

Ken.

CJ- will the camera shoot video?
We could always go to the Curves in Saludia, NC to record a 180 car coal train come smoking and squealing down the hill.
Would you leave this camera two feet from the rails?:D

PNKFLOYD said:
CJ- will the camera shoot video?
We could always go to the Curves in Saludia, NC to record a 180 car coal train come smoking and squealing down the hill.
Would you leave this camera two feet from the rails?:D
Yeah it will shoot short segments of video. But I don't think I'll be burying this one in the ballast like I did that video camera.:p BTW I'll be dumping those video shots to DVD soon as the tapes are getting old, age wise. Don't want to lose my last action shots off of Saluda.:( Sure do wish they'd go on and reopen that monster. There's nothing quite like three high horsepower SD's notched up into run 8 with 20 cars and only moving at 5-7 mph. Those were the days!!!!:D:D:D

BTW, Mikey!! WELCOME to the best forum on the net!!!!!

Good for you man! I remember how happy I was when I bought my camera 3 years ago. Now you can get it new for 1/5 of the price I paid...

If I ever move to a bigger city again, where I'll be doing hundreds of photos/week, I'll upgrade, but till then I'm stock with what I have. Better spend the money on trains!

Nice shots BTW. I railfan from a station platform too.

Lisa Suprised me with a new digital camera, except I might have to go to University to learn how to use the thing. I may trade in my old Nikon sytem to get new lenses for this. All I can say is wow....

Fergie

Back