New boys in town

radar

dave
between the train show and Walther's lookie what I got:D 1277 has sound&Dcc,1266 the one in the tuxedo I put in a TCS T-1 decoder.

Nice! I tried a couple of sound units and got tired of them rather quickly. I just find the noise annoying. One of my friends was very happy to take them off my hands. I just told him 'If you want them, come and get them'. He wasn't about to turn down $40 each.

Dave, those GP-7's are really nice engines, very smooth and good pulling power. The sound is excellent, far better than the sound units in BLI E units, for example. I have a UP unit and the only thing I don't like is the long hood is designated front and there's no way to change the headlight behavior if you want the shrt hood as front since it's hard-wired into the decoder. My sound card went wonky after a week and Walthers replaced the engine with no problem. I guess I was just unlucky since I've had no problems with it since.

Jeffrey, I've had the opposite reaction to sound as you. Now that I have a few sound units, the other trains just don't sound right any longer. Having several sound units on the layout with volume too high can be annoying but two or three diesel units on different parts of the layout, either running or in idle, really makes the scene come to life for me.

Jeffrey, its all a matter of perception, and volume.

The Tower 55 units I saw running at the San Diego Model Railroad Musuem sounded like crap, they were too load for the speaker size, I'd imagine. However, I recently heard another Tower 55 offering that sounded awesome, though it was much more faint, and I was up close to it.

I'd suggest not to give up completely, but possibly try another brand of sound decoder, later, when you get a DCC system with CV editing abilities, then you can turn the volume down, maybe test those locos out after you get a new system (I.E. ask your friend to test them again, now that you can play w/ them volume).

This is my 3rd proto unit with sound.and I lovem. UP2CSX is right the first CV I change is volume.to less than half. My E-8 units with 8 pass cars HAMMERING up grade sounds absolutely awesome!!!!!!

Back