(new better pics) MKT SD40-2 detailed and weathered

vipers

***starting the thread over with better pics****

hey guys!! just finished a kinda "out of the norm" project for me.. Im a BNSF guy through and through, but decided to venture out of it for this loco. This loco didnt take me too long (maybe 6 hours) compared to my normal super detailed locos, but this one came very very well detailed straight from Athearn

its a Athearn RTR MKT SD40-2... and i added ..

Details West
AH-302 Air Hose, Locomotive Drop Type
BE-127 Bell, Underframe Mount
AF-139 Air Filter Set
AT-304 Air Tank Detail Set
SR-284 Speed Recorder
DP-305 Drain Pipe Details
MU-236 MU Cable With Double Ended Receptacle

Details Associates

windshield wipers

and a cannon & co. ebrake tensioner thingymabobber and brake chain

then i dirtied her up quite a bit and gave her the "been around the block and back" look. which is my favorite look for locos.. nice and dirty ! im going to be throwing her up on "that auction website" today...so if anyone is interested, just thought id give a heads up

014-1.jpg

0174.jpg

0194.jpg

0212.jpg

024.jpg

0272.jpg

0314.jpg

033.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Great job on the detail and weathering work. Looks like she's been working hard on the rails.

The only thing for me though is, the couplers look too bright/shiny doesn't look like rust. Are they supposed to be orange? Or rusted? Maybe a little darker and duller.

Other than that, very well done...

yeah, i dont understand why they turned out somewhat shiny... ive used that rust paint for a while now, and its always dull..but not this time, heck, i even dullcoated the whole loco, and they are still shiny.. looks like ill have to use some rust powder to dull it down :)

and thank you:)

Vipers, nice job and very well done! Are you using weathering powders for your overall "grime" effect? I like the half wiped off look on the "K" in this shot. Helps make the doors on the unit look like they have been used or handled. Now if only we could figure a way out to model that grime removed by fingers look, maybe a “wash-me” on there somewhere.:D

Had this been an Illinois Terminal, I could have saved you the auction hassles! Wait a minute... those were SD39's, my mistake.:eek:

Vipers, nice job and very well done! Are you using weathering powders for your overall "grime" effect? I like the half wiped off look on the "K" in this shot. Helps make the doors on the unit look like they have been used or handled. Now if only we could figure a way out to model that grime removed by fingers look, maybe a “wash-me” on there somewhere.:D

Had this been an Illinois Terminal, I could have saved you the auction hassles! Wait a minute... those were SD39's, my mistake.:eek:

i use a mixture of waterbased paints and weathering powders... that wiped off grime effect is actually pretty easy... i just over spray my watered down grimy black onto the sides, and then after it dries (in seconds) i take a normal dishwashing sponge (slightly wet) and use the gritty side, and wipe in an up and down motion (and a little at angles too, to give a "wiped off" look so-to-speak)... ive been pondering the finger wipes as well... the wash me would be very cool :) wonder how i could do that..probubly just use a razor blade and very carefully scrape away the weathering :)

and thank you for liking it :)

Back