New backdrop 2

hamltnblue

Last night the vinyl was laid and today the new backdrop was hung.
I think the water is a bit high and still might trim it down. I'll let it sit for a few days before deciding.

Backdroponbench.png

Medium zoom of the backdrop showing detail. Turned out great. There is a seam to the right that I will try to shrink with a blow dryer.

Backdropcloseup.png

Wow!! That come out great! Now I want to make my own! I'm getting a new Camera next week, and then take some pics of the Rocky Mountains!

I hope it comes out half as good as yours.:D

I watched my Wife lay the vinyl and I wouldn't recommend that anyone try a section that large for a first shot. The stuff is pretty tricky. I shot a couple of short video's of it if anyone wants to try it. I know I would mess it up in a hurry ;)

Here's 2 video's of the job in process. It took about a half hour. In the beginning I realized that I didn't have a memory card in the camera :rolleyes:. The part missed is that you start by laying the whole thing out and taping with masking tape. This gets the pic square on the backing. Then you start on 1 end and do about a foot. After that you roll the vinyl back up and that's where the video's pick up. I was also surprised that the process involves wet water, a mix of water and soap. This makes the vinyl workable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDuuqrA2BA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnHc3IKgLr0

Well Tonight I finally got around to cutting 11 inches off of the bottom

Here's a few photo's I snapped real quick. No depth of field settings.

Backdropshortened.png

BackdropShortened1.png

WOW, what a difference after you cut off all that water. I was wondering how long it would take you to figure that out.
About 3 years ago I contacted BackDrop Warehouse about enough sheets to do my whole layout & it was way out of my reach. Something like $3500.00 after I put up all the masonite boards to attach the backdrops. I had to have 140 ft.

Wow. That is awesome. :) Of course now you'll work yourself to death detailing the railroad to match. ;)

Dude that is KILLER looking!!! It looks alot better. I really like that last pic, it looks like your trains are right in the city!!

Thanks all. I didn't get much time to get things back together yet after the trim. I picked up a Y6b, 2-8-8-2 along with six Concor MP54's this weekend and it's been taking up a lot of my time. I've been playing with the sound levels and love the whistle of the Y6B.

looks much better with the water cut down . It now looks as if your looking across the river now not sinking in it LOL....nicely done

That is fantastic!! I love the look of the real backdrop. It's hard to get a painted or manufactured backdrop to look that real.

Beautiful backdrop! I take you're modeling Camden, NJ?
Thanks again all. I never thought about it but I guess by having philly in the background it's modeling in Camden. I better add security :D

I'm thinking of leaving the other layout section with blue walls so that I can change the background in pics.

It definitely has to be Camden. Get the baseball field , aquarium, and USS New Jersey in there and I will be very impressed. The backdrop looks great now that it's cut down.

Back