New Athearn Locomotive at Trainfest will be...?

bigB

Any guesses/intel? Heard rumors of a sd70m with flared radiators, a later generation Gevo, or something else?

Athearn
Yesterday at 5:36pm
Mark your calendar. Trainfest is just one month away. We'll be unveiling an all-new locomotive never offered in HO previously*, "modernizing" a locomotive already in our line-up, and announcing production for a long-awaited locomotive. We're looking forward to seeing our fans in Milwaukee.

For more information about the show, visit the Trainfest website.
www.trainfest.com

*never offered by a mass production plastic manufacturer before

From an unreliable source: Athearn Genesis Hustler. All new tooling, add on grabs, opening cab door and windows, DCC with sound, operating ditch lights, see through radiator and fan grilles and hood louvers, fully detailed cab interior, advanced Hi Fi rubber band drive with flywheels, scale McHenry couplers. $499.99

Ha, Mike, very funny. This is where my wishful thinking comes in. It would take something spectacular, as I have lost interest. The last several purchases of genesis and RTR locos have had many QC issues. maybe a GP40P, or a SDP40 or a .............

Joe

Well why not a Hustler? :rolleyes: It seems all the new offerings are updated versions of the same old same old. eg: SD 9, GP38, F units, ad nauseum. How many GP 35's do you need? Athearn isn't the only one either. Atlas keeps bringing back previous runs in different road names as does most of the rest of them. Credit to Bachmann for their 44 and 70 tonners when those came out. True enough there are only so many prototypes but there are still some that have never been done before. So I guess we'll see what the unveiling produces. Another upgraded rerun or something we've never seen before.

Actually a center cab hustler built on an updated SW7 frame with Kato style motorized trucks.............Actually a Genesis level prototypical center cab industrial switcher, would be different, and useful in numerous applications.

They should just let Homer Simpson into athearn and let him design the next locomotive. It'll end up like that car he designed for his brother.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see a B36-7 but I think i'll have to wait for Atlas to do that one. The SDF40 is a possibility or maybe a commuter F40.

They will announce it, it will take a year for it to come out, and then every person that didn't pre-order it will be SOL.
And then they will be gone.
Out of stock, Discontinued, Out of Production. Go to Ebay...

At Least that is how it has worked for me in the past.
But I'm not bitter.
And I'm just generalizing, because I'm looking for stuff I can't find.
I apologize.

Jester.

Jester,

That's the simplest, most accurate explanation that I have heard of purchasing reality in the hobby.

They will announce it, it will take a year for it to come out, and then every person that didn't pre-order it will be SOL. And then they will be gone. Out of stock, Discontinued, Out of Production. Go to Ebay...
On the other hand those suckers who like to pay top dollar and pre-order will have a pocket book that is SOL.

I was going to comment on the "over a year to come out", with so many other things I can buy right now, I could really care less what they are going to be doing 18 months from now. NOTHING in model railroading is important enough to be price gouged for.

On the other hand if they announced something that was going to be mass produced on an on going basis, that I could count on being on the hobby store shelves when I want one, then I'd be interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I am just retuning to the hobby after an unexplainable and very long Hiatus, I just wasn't prepared for the direction the Hobby has gone. Not that I am going on a rant here ala Dennis Miller, But, when did everything become a collectable? I can't even find Intermodal Well Cars, The FP45 I was vacillating on is gone. Shoulda'/Coulda'...and all that. The NS Heritage Series are flying off the shelves (figuratively) so fast..there one day gone the next. Then promises are made for a "new and shiny", and I can't get one. Don't misunderstand, I can think of no hobby where so many skills are honed and utilized, and I'm not going to "Rage Quit" now, but dang it. I'm just a little frustrated. OTOH the level of detail, and the quality of the new locomotives is very impressive. DCC is wonderful, and the number of vendors with detail parts for sale is amazing. The guys on the forums that make decals, detail parts, the level of expertise and knowledge is amazing. Especially for us guys that don't have a local Hobby shop to hang out in. And I am VERY thankful for all of you.
I realize I'm in the wrong forum to unload like this, so I'm going to stop. No Hijacking intended, so:

How about a Genesis Series F/FP/SD/GP/ES-anything, with really great sound, with room for at least 2 speakers, with some bass, a redesigned transmission for ultra smooth low speed running, and Warm White LED's for ditch lights, number boards, and headlights, and a goody bag of parts that I can apply, all for under 200.00 bucks?
Yeah, I know.
I'm dreaming.
BUT, I might actually pay 250.00 for that.
I might even pre-order a couple. Price gouging be darned.

Ok, I'm through...I'm going to go and airbrush something now.

Jester

Back