New 1/2 basement layout

CbarM

HO all the way!
OK guys, here is what I just made on the paint program showing dimentions of my basement. I have started on benchwork for the yard, as I want it to be the centerpiece of my layout. The yard will total 19' long and will go along the north wall (22' space) 3' in from the top right corner. I am thinking of around the walls for long mainline, but also considered a loop over on a peninsula. Do you think this would be possible without having less then 36" minimum radius? Ideas please...

Attachments

• Grid dimentions of train room.jpg
    Grid dimentions of train room.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 175
Wow! That is huge space for a layout, congrats. You should have no problem doing what ever you want, and still maintain 36" min radius.

Looking forward to seeing build pics of this one.

Actually, I reconfigured and did a lil more measuring. The tightest curve I want is a 42" radius and that will be coming off the right side of the yard, into the top right corner n then heading down. I love running long trains and I figured this would be the best way to do it, only using half the basement. There is a wall on the bottom side, that is a center support wall for the house and I dont want to go into that space. If I was t ogo with 42"R on dual track mainline as the outer curve, would the inside track be somewhere around 39"R? I am running modern equipment, modelling between years 1995-2000, and I have about 2 dozen autodecks that look pretty cool in a string, so wanna make sure there will be room for another train to pass on the adjacent main.

Best part is, no ol lady to say no, nag, or spend time with on the couch when I could be in the train room HAHAHA...

Hey Chris - looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you! Why don't you download a program like SCARM and start to play around. It's free and has lots of different styles of track to choose from. There are also lots of tutorials on how to use it online. It will allow you to see what radii will fit and what won't. I'm a big fan....

I will take a look Gary, thanks for the info! The last time I did one like this, it never got finished cause I got tired of freelancing it as I went and then having to continuously change things...

Her are a couple pics I just took after moving my old yard that I temporarily set up (to have a lil switchin action) out of the way for the new yard base. The new base is 3' longer (19' total) and 14" higher so I wont be looking down so much at it all. This new benchwork is so much sturdier then what I built last time, plywood is pretty nice to work with for structural lumber. The only part of this that isnt plywood is the bracing, which are 4' 1x2 stakes with the points cut off. You can see the major difference in height between the old n new!

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 151
Great space Chris!
You gonna finish the room and all first?
We went with spray foam insulation, best thing ever!

I like the height of the benchwork. I wish I went higher benchwork on my layout, trains look so much better closer to eye level.

great space.

I would recommend drywall or drop ceiling. Will definitely keep the dust down. Finish the room before you start will make for a better environment to work in.
Large radii are great but too large may limit what you can do in that space. I would recommend sketching out some main lines around the room before starting bench work. A little planning now will make a huge difference down the road.

Steve

My new benchwork is 49.5" to the top of the foam, Im likin it already. I would like to finish the room Rico, but that wont happen till late next year sometime, so this is being built in modular sections so when the time comes, it wont be that bad to take it all apart to do the room properly.

I bought some sand color spray paint today to cover the pink foam before anything goes on it. I also bought a couple 24' strips of the WS roadbed for my dual mains running passed the yard. Should I put the roadbed down first before painting everything sand color, or spray first n then lay roadbed??

I'd strongly recommend spraying a scrap piece of foam first for compatabilty. Hate to see your base dissapearing before your eyes as it dissolves.

If its a latex based paint you'll be fine. Paint the foam first, then lay down your roadbed, and glue with latex caulk.

Hahaha...Motley, funny story from yesterday when I was buying the spray paint and caulk. Im browsing the isle at the Rona store when a really cute lil gal comes up in the blue apron asking if I need help finding something. I said "Yea, Im looking for latex caulk"....well her mouth just about hit the floor as she paused a moment and asked me - saying it just like this "did you just say yer looking for latex COCK?" LMAO!!!!!! I said "Yea, the silicone"...well then she all of a sudden looked pretty dumb and pointed down the isle n then walked away. HAHAHAHA it was the funniest thing I heard all month, had to share!!

Is Tremclad rust paint (oil based) considered a letex paint? It doesnt say anywhere on the can...

Daaamn!! I was really wanting to lay the roadbed today...n Im an hour from the nearest hardware store. Maybe I will spend some time lifting the track from the old yard instead...

Back