Needed H.O. Scale Vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock4329

Hey H.O. scale vehicle guys,

I've been thinking about some of the vehicles that are under-produced. Not too many model choices in these catagories. I would like to see some of these done in H.O.!!!!

1. Busses, like the Grayhound and Coach USA variety!!! Busch did a great GMC "fishbowl" bus, but what about the big highway "sceniccruisers" While I'm at it, how about more of TODAY's city busses, too.

2. Step-vans. Yes, like the RPS or FED-EX type. Walthers did a UPS truck some time ago, but where are the step-vans!!! Not only do package deliveries use them, but so do bakeries, bread company's. Many uses for step-vans. Also, they do come in multiple sizes and lenghts!!!

3. Mail Jeeps and other delivery vehicles. Where is all the U.S. Mail trucks????

Thats my list so far. Can anyone else think of undermodelled vehicles??? Maybe we can build a list and send it to H.O. manufacturers.

Someone just came out with a Fed Ex Sprinter. It's in this month's model railroader..

Scott

Model Power has had some out for quite some time. One of them is on sale right now.

Herpa made a tour bus awhile back too.

(photos courtesy of Walthers)

I've been thinking about some of the vehicles that are under-produced. Not too many model choices in these catagories. I would like to see some of these done in H.O.!!!!

1. Busses, like the Grayhound and Coach USA variety!!! Busch did a great GMC "fishbowl" bus, but what about the big highway "sceniccruisers" While I'm at it, how about more of TODAY's city busses, too.
http://www.truckstopmodels.com/catalog_order_forms/mek_order.php
http://www.truckstopmodels.com/catalog_order_forms/all_order_bus.php

2. Step-vans. Yes, like the RPS or FED-EX type. Walthers did a UPS truck some time ago, but where are the step-vans!!! Not only do package deliveries use them, but so do bakeries, bread company's. Many uses for step-vans. Also, they do come in multiple sizes and lenghts!!!
http://www.truckstopmodels.com/catalog_order_forms/tins_toys_order_truck.php
Woodland Scenics does an older one too.

3. Mail Jeeps and other delivery vehicles. Where is all the U.S. Mail trucks????
You know, I was at the post office a few days back wondering if a Resin mail truck would be feasible. I'd like the small ones, the larger step vans, and the new Ford minivans too.

I do have 1 Fed-Ex Sprinter (the Express, not the home delivery), but I still want larger Step-vans!!!

The bus posted looks great, but it is an Eroupean model, not a MCI Motorcoach. It wouldn't look too good in a Greyhound scheme. It would make a GREAT privately owned TOUR bus, though.

I just thought of something else. How about some Chevy and Ford "dually" pick-ups. There are several pick up truck models out, but does anyone make a dually???

I also would like to see more types of auto carriers out. I know Walthers made one, and there is also a quite EXPENSIVE Ford one out, but how about some affordable ones?? I'd also like to see some 5th wheel auto trailers out that you can attach to pick-ups or smaller OTR trucks. I'd like to fill some of these with Malibu cars!!!

Cube vans. I know Busch has a cube van out, but I'd like to see some more versions. The Busch van has a "van" cab on it, how about a version with a pick-up cab on it??

Last but not least. I'd LOVE to see a nice Rear-Mount Ladder Truck, a Midship Ladder Truck, and a Tower Ladder Truck. I thought Boley was supposed to do these, but I'm not too sure now. My H.O. fire dept. will NEVER be complete without these!!!!! LOL.

What we really need are some railroad MOW trucks. Atlas has a good starting point with their Ford LNT truck, they just need to make the boom, bed, and Hy-rail wheels.

Thats my list so far. Can anyone else think of undermodelled vehicles??? Maybe we can build a list and send it to H.O. manufacturers.

Not just mail jeeps but how about any kind of modern Jeeps? While you can't swing a dead cat without hitting WW2 style army jeeps I'm afraid those just won't do too well for any layout set beyond the early 1960s era. We also need more models of Japanese cars like Hondas, and toyotas. While I myself am a diehard Ford fan I know all too well you can't realistically model the modern era without a few foreign cars.

Here's a stepvan from Johnny Lightning....

AFT_StepVan_4.png

Johnny

I do have 1 Fed-Ex Sprinter (the Express, not the home delivery), but I still want larger Step-vans!!!

The bus posted looks great, but it is an Eroupean model, not a MCI Motorcoach. It wouldn't look too good in a Greyhound scheme. It would make a GREAT privately owned TOUR bus, though.
The link I posted has Resin ones.

I just thought of something else. How about some Chevy and Ford "dually" pick-ups. There are several pick up truck models out, but does anyone make a dually???
Trident made one.

I also would like to see more types of auto carriers out. I know Walthers made one, and there is also a quite EXPENSIVE Ford one out, but how about some affordable ones?? I'd also like to see some 5th wheel auto trailers out that you can attach to pick-ups or smaller OTR trucks. I'd like to fill some of these with Malibu cars!!!
There again, was a resin one, check truck stop models (the page is down right now so I can't look myself).

Cube vans. I know Busch has a cube van out, but I'd like to see some more versions. The Busch van has a "van" cab on it, how about a version with a pick-up cab on it??

Last but not least. I'd LOVE to see a nice Rear-Mount Ladder Truck, a Midship Ladder Truck, and a Tower Ladder Truck. I thought Boley was supposed to do these, but I'm not too sure now. My H.O. fire dept. will NEVER be complete without these!!!!! LOL.
Ricks Decals makes a number of resin ones.
http://www.angelfire.com/ri2/rickdecals/fa.html

What we really need are some railroad MOW trucks. Atlas has a good starting point with their Ford LNT truck, they just need to make the boom, bed, and Hy-rail wheels.
Custom Finishes makes them! Modify some chassis out there with some of the resin truck cabs and you can make just about anything. Check Truck stop models.

I've been thinking about these vehicles and the only reason I can see them not being made is because of copyrights. Maybe UPS, the US Post Office and the others won't consent to letting a model company use their logos?

Scott

Pa3de8,

I'm not really worried about the step-vans being decorated, heck, I'd take 'em undec. Just as long as I can get the truck. I'd decal it for my own express mail or bread company.

For those that post about resin models. Sure they all look nice, and Truck Stop Models has an older Grayhound Scenicruiser, but $64.00 for an undec model that you have to put together and paint????? No Way!!!! If I'm going to pay $64.00 for ANY vehicle model, it better be built, painted, decalled, and look AWESOME!!!!! Thats all I got to say about resin!!!!

Just thought of one more vehicle NOT modelled in H.O., Stretch Limo's!!! I'd like to see some really long limo's in H.O. scale!!!

Funnelfan,

Sorry, I forgot to mention, that BN maint. truck is AWESOME!!! I built a CNW tie truck with a Hiab crane, on a Con-Cor GMC chassis. My truck didn't come out as well as yours, though.

Pa3de8,

I'm not really worried about the step-vans being decorated, heck, I'd take 'em undec. Just as long as I can get the truck. I'd decal it for my own express mail or bread company.

For those that post about resin models. Sure they all look nice, and Truck Stop Models has an older Grayhound Scenicruiser, but $64.00 for an undec model that you have to put together and paint????? No Way!!!! If I'm going to pay $64.00 for ANY vehicle model, it better be built, painted, decalled, and look AWESOME!!!!! Thats all I got to say about resin!!!!

Just thought of one more vehicle NOT modelled in H.O., Stretch Limo's!!! I'd like to see some really long limo's in H.O. scale!!!
Thats very true $60 is allot but its about the best we'll ever see. Resin is a world or rarities, and they're tough to mold that thin.

I'd like a limo too...

I've been thinking about these vehicles and the only reason I can see them not being made is because of copyrights. Maybe UPS, the US Post Office and the others won't consent to letting a model company use their logos?

Scott

Exactly. UPS won't license anything in HO it seems. There were/are some USPS trucks from Model Power and the older Ford vans from Athearn, but a modern postal delivery van would be nice...

Exactly. UPS won't license anything in HO it seems. There were/are some USPS trucks from Model Power and the older Ford vans from Athearn, but a modern postal delivery van would be nice...
Whats with the Athearn 40' parcel trailers, and the 28' parcel containers then? I wish there was more offered though, like the newer UPS logos on trailers. I think Athearn would be the best bet for doing a postal truck, after all they make USPS stuff allready.

Whats with the Athearn 40' parcel trailers, and the 28' parcel containers then? I wish there was more offered though, like the newer UPS logos on trailers. I think Athearn would be the best bet for doing a postal truck, after all they make USPS stuff allready.

Notice all they have is a road number? No lettering and no logo. They won't license their name or logo in HO. Some auto manufacturers won't license anything in HO because they're afraid somebody will choke on parts and sue them. Ridiculous, yes, but when is the last time you saw an officially licensed Chevy product in HO or smaller? I'm guessing it's the same type of deal with UPS. We can thank over-zealous lawyers for the lack of big-name vehicles :rolleyes:

Notice all they have is a road number? No lettering and no logo. They won't license their name or logo in HO. Some auto manufacturers won't license anything in HO because they're afraid somebody will choke on parts and sue them. Ridiculous, yes, but when is the last time you saw an officially licensed Chevy product in HO or smaller? I'm guessing it's the same type of deal with UPS. We can thank over-zealous lawyers for the lack of big-name vehicles :rolleyes:

I was going to say that. I remember it just being a trailer that resembled a UPS trailer but with NO UPS insignias..

Scott

I was going to say that. I remember it just being a trailer that resembled a UPS trailer but with NO UPS insignias..

Scott

Yup, and the Walthers parcel van comes with "United Postal Service" and "Reliable Parcel Service" decals :rolleyes:

Yup, and the Walthers parcel van comes with "United Postal Service" and "Reliable Parcel Service" decals :rolleyes:

I was thinking much more about the USPS vehicles that are used to deliver the mail. In PA, most of them are the deliverer's own presonal vehicles with a USPS Mail sticker slapped on the side and rear....
Wouldn't be hard for us to model a USPS Mail Carrier vehicle...

Scott

Hummm, guess it becomes a problem when all I own are RPP & Walthers 28' containers, with UPSU reporting marks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back