Need Wiring Diagram for NJ Int'l Crossbucks

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Hi all,

I'm trying to salvage a pair of NJ International flashing crossbucks that I had on my old layout. I foolishly buried the wires under a layer of joint compound that I was using as a scenery base; that made it impossible to remove the crossbucks without breaking or cutting the wires when I dismantled the layout a few years later. I think I might have completely ripped out the 'common' wire; I remember there were 3 wires, 2 green and one yellow; now there's only the two green wires.

I want to try to make them work again, but first I need the wiring diagram. NJ International doesn't publish this info on their web site, all they say is "...wiring instructions are included with our products." I attempted a google search but that didn't return any useful links.

So, you guys [& gal?] are my only hope. If you can spare me from having to spend another $30 on a replacement pair I'd be mighty obliged!:D

I don't have a diagram, nad have never used anything from this company, but it should be simple enought to figure out whats inside with a multi-meter. If you don't have one, you should get one. They are cheap and can be found anywhere (walmart, home improvement stores, radio shack, etc).

First, check the resistance between the two wires you have using the lowest setting you can to get a reading. It should be very low (less that 1 kilohom). If this is the case, you probably have real light bulbs, and you can just send voltage through the green wires to get them to light, but both will be on at the same time. Also, if you don't remember the rated voltage, start low, and increase to an appropiate light level so don't blow them.

If you get really high resistances, you probably have diodes, in which case there should be a common line. See if you can see the stub of another wire coming from the base. If there is, see if you can solder another piece of wire on. Check the resistance across the common and each side. If reversing the leads significanly reduces the resistance, then you probably have LED's. Use only low voltage with these. Pay attention to the meter lead colors. If you have LED's the positive supply line is hooked to the red lead and the ground hooked to the black when your resistance is very low.

If you can't see the stub of a common wire, then is your base metal? Was it the ground. This can be checked in the same way by holding one meter probe against the base and preforming the measurements described above.

NOTE: If there are other electronics in there, this won't work. I wouldn't think there would be, though. If you have questions or I didn't explain something as well as you need, just let me know. Good luck.

Thanx for the reply. I eventually did figure out how it works - but I forgot they originally came with voltage dropping resistors. [Apparently mine were caked inside some old scenery that I tore out.] So I hooked them up and they flashed real bright - once. Never again after that!:eek:

At least when NJ International returned my call, they were able to connect me with a vendor who still had some of these crossbucks in stock (everybody else was sold out of them). Oh well, didn't save any money like I'd hoped, but at least I can still install a pair where I really need them.

Back