Need some color advice

twforeman

Certified Great Northern Nut
I'm just starting to build the Right On Track Enterprise Stove and Range Co laser kit.

First I'll post some assembly photos, because I have a couple. :)

Adding some bracing on the inside.

Starting to assemble the walls.

I should get the last two walls glued on tonight and then I need to decide what color to paint the walls.

I don't really want to go with dark brown as shown in the photos, but I don't know what color is appropriate for 1950's Montana. Thoughts?

Maybe Chet on the Forum who lives in Montana could provide the best advise.

I'll add that whatever color you decide to use mute, the brighter colors with a touch of flat black paint added. I think it was John Allen who once said that there are no true colors, but all are muted. A true white building would be too stark. A good house painter who was painting the exterior of our house said where I used previously used "White Exterior House Paint" on some trim and he told he would paint some trim using white mixed with a tint of black and what a remarkable difference bwteen the two "colors" of the exterior paint. All the starkneess of the true white disappeared.

If you plan on using can spray paint try the Camo lines of paint which are all muted in color or shades.

A bit off track from your original question, but related.

Greg

Last edited:
Barn red was a popular color for industrial buildings.

I went to HABS-HAER and search for "montana frame" and "montana building". Many of the buildings were a lighter color with darker trim (white/yellow/tan with green/red/brown trim ?) or matching trim .

Back