Need Industry info for the area you model?

Holy Smokes!

I sorted by "State" in reverse alphabetical order, and I still had to go through 4650 listings before I got to Pennsylvania! :eek:

Thanks for pointing this out G-Man! Ought to be some interesting reading. I'm curious to see just how "local" these get...my home town is less than 3700 poeple today. One of the PRR's largest yards was here though, so it'll be interesting to see how many RR-served industries were here at the time.

By the way, if you want to skip ahead without clicking "next 50" every time, just change the "sw" (meaning "start with") number. In this URL it's 4650:

Code:
http://model-rr.crispen.org/industries/index.php?sw=4650

This list is woefully incomplete, and I can't find many industries that would fit the present era. For example, most everything seems to be from the 1940s or 1960s.

mtrpls said:
This list is woefully incomplete, and I can't find many industries that would fit the present era. For example, most everything seems to be from the 1940s or 1960s.

It's the best list I've seen, and keep in mind, probably the majority of us model the transition era... Someone put a lot of time into it, and I always apprieciate something like that being posted online for everyone to use at no cost. If nothing else, maybe you could get some good ideas for industry names, even if the era is off for the time frame you're modeling.

I did find that a rare few of the modern industries were listed, but in alot of cases, if you know a little you can figure the rest out. It lists Miramar CA as receiving Cat equipment, beer & plastic pellets. that was "in the 50's" although all 3 still receive some, and add to that shipping out recycled paper, and Frazee receiving titanium dioxide...

Somebody put in a lot of work to compile that list. Incomplete or not, it provides a great starting point. Thanks for posting the link.

It was definitely interesting going through the local area - stuff that isn't quite the same as it was in 1955....

I in no way meant to criticize the list, I understand all of the work that went into it. However, being a modern modeler, I found very few industries that would be of interest to me. Yes, many historic industries on the list are still shipping/receiving products by rail today, but many newer industries have surfaced and are not on the list.

Is there any way to add information to this database so that everyone might be able to see it?

Back