Need help?

Hey guys I need help? I just bought an sd60 but when I put it on the track I hear the power going to the eninge but when I put power to move it. It just sit's there any idea :confused: it is dc,and everything looks good on the outside I tryed pushing it when it's on the track but nothing I also hear it change from fwd to rv when i change it but nothing?:mad:

I bought a used GP-38 at a train show that did the same thing, I messed with it for a bit then picked one end up and it took off.I guess someone rewired it wrong. I cut a wire just for grins and it has worked perfectly since. Dont know if it will help but worth a shot.

Can you remove the shell? Who made the engine? What brand??
Sounds like the Motor is not connected to the trucks but just spinning inside.
Might be missing the drive shafts or something is slipping inside not connected.

Bob

Sounds like the motor has come loose from the frame or missing driveshafts like Bob said.
Could be a lot of different problems. Take the shell off or take some pictures of the engine. Especially the bottom.

It could be that the flywheels de-cemented themselves from the drive shaft (unlikely that they would both do it) or theres a lot of crap in the trucks keeping the trucks from moving.

The life-like proto SD engines take alot more power than other engines to get moving. How high did you apply the power. Probably won't move unless you go 3/4 of the way.
What size power pack are you using?

Bob

Hey guys I need help? I just bought an sd60 but when I put it on the track I hear the power going to the eninge but when I put power to move it. It just sit's there any idea :confused: it is dc,and everything looks good on the outside I tryed pushing it when it's on the track but nothing I also hear it change from fwd to rv when i change it but nothing?:mad:

Check your worm housings. Sometimes they aren't snapped back in place when someone removes them. If it is a P2k I had to have Life Like replace the gears in one of my trucks about 8 years ago. Phil

ironically, the same thing happened to me a week ago. I installed a decoder into my Bachmann ballast tamper. I could hear the motor buzzing when I apply power, but the tamper doesn't move and the motor just gets hot.

I had the circuit board ripped out and now it runs fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Open it up and make sure all parts are present. I had a Walthers F40PH once that did this. I opened it up and realized Walthers forgot to put the rods from the motor to the trucks in. Luckily, i had a unit that had fallen about 4 feet and had a cracked shell....i took the needed parts from there.

Back