HP and Sackville Railroad

I put my Pullman (rivarossi) on the 22 and 24 templates and they didn’t touch. I remember someone did a trial on one of the forums about track spacing. I will go search again for that this morning as well
That would be really cool. Rivarossi have their truck hinged toward the inside of the truck rather than the center of the truck so they "hug" the curves better than other brands.

I think that may have been Beiland that did that study on this forum about 5 years ago when he was first starting.

Well my plan did not work 22 & 24 curves collide ! Grrrrrrrr
D3F0F6EB-E8C2-46AE-8643-1C9E27037568.jpeg

Right now I am at 24” and 26 1/4” and 28 1/2” radius curves, needed them fairly tight to save space, will check when I get home the length of car before possible contact if that will help…. Passenger car length is generally in the 12” area if I remember right, is that correct?

Yes, I so wanted to stick with sectional track as I wanted to keep this as simple as possible....lol
I am not having much luck....
Here is one way to increase the distance between the "parallel" curved tracks. Would need to experiment to determine exactly what difference in the start to make them far enough apart. The smallest sectional straight I know of is 3/4". To make 1/2" or 1/4" one has to play with combinations of the other short pieces.
Curves.jpg

Here is one way to increase the distance between the "parallel" curved tracks.
View attachment 138116
I was just about to send you a PM.....lol, I have done some work with Paint here at the same time, do you think the plan that you just sent is a better plan than your old plan that you did for Resqnu; I have been massaging it to the shape that is close to the waterwings layout
Practice layout 1.jpg

1631020932071.png

with the yard and reversing area that CTR did up indicated in this plan. I like 65 steams shape though the best?

I was just about to send you a PM.....lol, I have done some work with Paint here at the same time, do you think the plan that you just sent is a better plan than your old plan that you did for Resqnu; I have been massaging it to the shape that is close to the waterwings layout

with the yard and reversing area that CTR did up indicated in this plan. I like 65 steams shape though the best?
That is the trick about track plans. There is good and bad, but no real better and best as each model railroading situation is unique to the space available, the pre-determine limitations eg. min radius, and the pre-determine requirements eg. double track main, then finally is the operation and visual desires of the railroads owner. Then even more subjective things like the skill set of the builder can come into play. Some "good" track plans can be really hard to build. I mean not everyone can do something complex things like custom building a crossing through a curved turnout. That is intimidating to the most experienced folks.

Longer main line, bigger yard, more industries, more scenery, sharper curves and less choice of equipment - It all comes down to tradeoffs.

Resqnu's was "perfect" for him. Only you can decide where your trade off points are and if you like a more dog-bony one, or the folded figure-8, a combination thereof, or something else.

I have done some work with Paint here at the same time, ... I have been massaging it to the shape that is close to the waterwings layout
View attachment 138117

Well, a sketch. Nothing quite fits right. Just not quite enough space.
BigGRacing2.jpg

You know the real operational issue with this yard configuration is that the wide radius main line is also the yard lead/drill track. So trains must use the inside narrow radius main when someone is working either yard.

So trains must use the inside narrow radius main when someone is working either yard.
It looks perfect in my eyes for all of my requirements, I mainly want the trains to run is my main priority and get the train station in. I will also be running a couple of lines in on the bottom left representing another small yard. I will get more foam down tonight and test some more track fitting.

Back