Need help with lift gate track work

davehall83

Hi folks,

So i am working with lionel o gauge fast track and my idea is to have a complete circle. I am looking at running O-96 curves a complete outer circle so i can run the big boys and such. However i have a lift up gate constructed but wanted some ideas on how to build my track across it so it basically is able to lift up when i need it to and drop back in place. How would you get the track close enough and make it so it won’t derail the trains going across it? I know this is a precise thing to do but just some ideas or something to get me in the right direction would be really helpful. I added 2 pictures of the lift out area

Attachments

• C204FB7B-7734-4C0B-8BFC-267D3D0EB298.jpeg
    C204FB7B-7734-4C0B-8BFC-267D3D0EB298.jpeg
    484.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 19A29DA2-9394-47F5-814E-4082B6AB61AE.jpeg
    19A29DA2-9394-47F5-814E-4082B6AB61AE.jpeg
    490.5 KB · Views: 86
I have looked into this as well. Although I'm pretty sure I'm going to go in a different direction I did find some good videos about this on Youtube.

Love the slides, great idea!
All I can think of right now is to secure the track at all the ends and slightly taper the inner rail heads to compensate for any misalignment.
I might be doing another lift out as well, I’ll keep an eye on your thread!

Love the slides, great idea!
All I can think of right now is to secure the track at all the ends and slightly taper the inner rail heads to compensate for any misalignment.
I might be doing another lift out as well, I’ll keep an eye on your thread!
Yeah we’re working to make the slide more sturdy and even when going up and down by adding some braces between each to keep it level and also some cleats to hold it up instead of wood blocks sitting there. But since i’m new to laying track please excuse my questions but when you say taper the inner rails what do you mean? So just butt the fast track up against each other so that the gap is minimal ?

Yes minimal gap then file the sharp edge from the inside of the rail ends slightly.
Running your finger along the gap will let you know how much you need to smooth out.

Back